Charters

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

Charters

Post by BIG »

I've been on only 4 charters in my life (2 offshore and 2 river) and I wanted to know what expectations or things more experienced people may look for during the experience.
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I expect to have a good time and to be treated with courtesy. Catching fish is always optional.
Ken
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I expect the Captain to be well prepared, and properly equipped and stocked. As ken said, I expect to be treated with courtesy. I also expect the captain to put forth an honest effort to catch fish. However, you're not always going to catch fish.

There have been several threads on this forum referring charter Caprains. Where are you looking to charter out of?
What was I supposed to do today?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Always talk to the Captain before booking and tell him YOUR expectations for the trip. If the captain guarantees fish be wary. If he guarantees a good time, book him.

Good captains should never use your time for stuff they could have done the day before or can do the day after. Fuel, ice, bait, rigging should be ready and waiting for you. A clean boat is always a good sign.

As all have said, as long as the Captain is doing everything he knows to do to put you on fish, he deserves every penny of his money (and tip). If he acts like you are an inconvienence to him, then chalk it up to experience and don't book again.

Captains for this area that I have fished with are:

Capt Tom Stephens
Capt. Jay Wadsworth
Capt. Brian Smith

All 3 are top notch in my book and all employ the good attitude you look should look for.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

No particular place. Since my schedule hasn't permitted me to fish much
locally. I promised myself that I would make time during any trip (work or personal) to take a fishing charter. I have gone out of Sebastian, Jensen Beach, St. Augustine and Tarpon Springs.

I prefer half day trips and I expect to fish at least 2.5 hours. On my offshore charter from Friday we only fished about 1.75 hours.

Things I am interested in are: should fish cleaning be a requirement, should you have to cut your own bait, should the captain have all the bait prior to the trip, etc.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Ask if you are using live bait and if the answer is yes, ask if you have to catch it :o ....Sounds crazy, but I have a heard of several charters from the Mexico Beach area, that come very highly recommended, that have been doing this....I'm not going to pay to catch bait....

The others have listed good advice as well...
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

I've never had a problem spending 30 minutes or so catching bait. The novices usually have a good time doing it, and the baits seem a lot more frisky. :thumbup:

I would be more upset to spend time running to a couple pin fish traps and have them be empty or to wait on a captain at the dock who had to implement plan b because traps were empty.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Check out who is bringing the food, specially the chicken pieces. !!! :lick:
On Sneaky Booger Charters, you could starve to death. :-D :-D :-D

I charter from recommendation and make sure all the questions I have, are answered up front. :thumbup:
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I think the best guides are adept at tailoring the trip to the client. Especially after you have fished with them a time or two.

When I'm on an inshore charter I almost always rig and supply my own tackle. Not because the captain can't or won't do it, but because to me that is part of fishing and I enjoy it. The same way with catching bait, I enjoy it and like to feel like I'm a part of things. I have been known to grab a brush and clean blood out of the boat.

I don't know if I am just lucky or if it is due to my easy going, easy to please nature, but I have fished with a bunch of guides and I can only recall one that I would not ever fish with again.

Most of my experience is with inshore guides, who as a rule "own" their own business. A lot of the Captains running offshore boats are employees of the boat owner and I believe may have less of an interest in pleasing the customers.
Ken
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

WHAT TO EXPECT ON A CHARTER

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Let me first give you the captain's outlook. My main concern is safety. Safe boat, safety equiptment, and good tackle. Bad weather, we don't go.

I don't want drunks, or kids runnign all over the boat, or anyone who is impatient to a fault.

Your skipper should make it easy to fish and fun. Like some have said, you don't always catch fish, but we usually do. On my charters I furnish the tackle, and live bait if it's catchable. Since I trap my own bait, or throw for it in winter I usually have enough. However, some folks like to catch their own while we fish. Like they said, ask.

If you have a special rod or favorite lures ask your captain if you can bring them. Don't be afraid to ask what and where the safety gear is. Ask to see his license if you wish. Know in advance what he furnished and what he doesn't. No one likes surprises. If someone in your party is handicapped can he accomidate them. Ask.

With us, you'll eat and drink what you bring. You'll need a current fishing license. If you want to take meat home that's ok, but I encourage catch and release. We leave early in the summer, and if you're not at the dock when it's time to go you'll be eating up your fishing time.

Remember, where the fish were yesterday is no guarantee they will be there today. If you have any further questions you can contact me charlie832@earthlink.net

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~charlie832/

Captain Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660