Trolling motor advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jcbahr

Trolling motor advice

Post by jcbahr »

I'm looking to upgrade my trolling motor, 40 lb. thrust, non saltwater Minn Kota to a Rip Tide. I'm considering a RT 55 lb thrust SP, copilot with optional
wireless or corded foot pedal. Any advice or suggestions for those who are really happy with their present trolling motor setup? My boat isn't heavy, only a 16' Duracraft aluminum. Thanks!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling motor advice

Post by DEMON »

Some people like the tiller handle or foot pedal. I'm not one of those. I bought mine with the wireless remote and then later upgrade to the I-Pilot. Now I like it even better.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I'm with Demon . . . BUT expect the electronics to fry after a few years (mine did).
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

I pilot is the only way to go and go at least a 24 volt. The GPS is a voltage hog and will not last in the 12 volt system. I promise you will catch more fish, by having hands and feet free. You can set direction with the autopilot feature and speed with the cruise control feature. Plus, on most days the anchor feature beats the heck out of a power pole. Depth of water does not matter.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

iPilot X2
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

I have the foot pedal autopilot (SP). The autopilot is great! It maintains a heading and was far more useful than I originially aniticipated. However, the foot pedal is a constant headache. I have already had one fail after a couple years; the connector went shortly thereafter. I have now had the new pedal and connections for 2 years and the troubles are beginning again. Several of my friends have similar foot pedal experiences. I would advise that you go all out, 24v iPilot with wireless control, or stick with the more reliable tiller style.
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

iPilot is the best thing I've ever added to a boat.