Need boat buying advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Re: Need boat buying advice

Post by Old Dog »

:) No I didn't climb a tree but it looks like it. We were staying out on SGI and I shot the pic from one of the decks.
D
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

There are very few boats that will fish the shallow bays and safely get you back from a serious storm 15 miles out. I have an 22 deep V offshore boat and a 19 Carolina Skiff. As everyone has mentioned the bays can get real bad real fast. You can avoid this 98% of the time if you just use good common sense. I primarily fish the exact areas you mentioned. Any time the weather is in question I put in near where I am going to fish. You can use any ramp with a shallow boat. If bad weather surprises you head for the nearest shore. Walking is a lot safer than swimming! You can get some great buys right now. I have a 70 four stroke on mine and it runs fine with four fishermen. I only use the big boat inshore if I'm fishing the passes, otherwise I use the Carolina Skiff. It's so easy to handle off and on the trailer plus off and on bars. I used bad judgment one time (fast learner) and took a wave that put a lot of water in it. I just raised the bow and kept on going. That boat made a believer out of me that day. I was glad to get to the ramp. That same squall took the roofing off Presnells at SJB. I was in Apalachicola bay. Good luck!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
smoothie

Post by smoothie »

Ifishtoo wrote:Yes, Ugly Boat manufacturer is in Perry, Fl; 55 miles SW of Tallahassee. I believe they have 18-20' models at this time. Very similar to May Craft or C-hawk. Not quite a Panga style,

Panga "style boats" are built by 2-3 manufactures.

Good luck, fishing is good & about to get better!
Those boats look like they are shaped just like pangas but are 8ft wide. Really curious about them
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Those boats, along with Maycraft and C-Hawk have styles that have been around for 40+ years. Older models seldom had much Vee at the transom...... because high HP outboard engines did not exist. Proline sold thousands of 0-12 degree hulls in the Eastern Gulf area. Those 0-12 degrees deadrise hulls were very popular. They had high bows, too. Smaller horse power engines always use less gas.

In the '80s, engines climbed to 200HP. Boat manufactures began making boats with 10-25 deadrise. Gas was cheap, so few fisherman cared if a 21' DEEP VEE boat required 175-220 HP. Speed was in, bass boats were born, fuel was cheap, and big engines kept getting bigger.

IMHO, find a 0-12 degree deadrise boat, wide beam (7'8" to 8'6"), with a handsome flared bow. Then you can fish many areas: rivers, bays, inshore, and even offshore on 1-2ft days. Also, helps you sell the boat to a lager group of fisherman. Anyone on here wanna venture the price of ethanol free gas in 18 months? If you fish 50-100 days a year, remember a Deep Vee Hull will use 30-40% more fuel.
Thom

Post by Thom »

"IMHO, find a 0-12 degree deadrise boat, wide beam (7'8" to 8'6"), with a handsome flared bow."

Can you suggest some specific examples to look at?

Thanks,
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Pirate wrote:There are very few boats that will fish the shallow bays and safely get you back from a serious storm 15 miles out.
Not shy about sharing the advantages AND the disadvantages of my Panga. Definitely rocks if you put her sideways and doesn't have extremely high sides... BUT... I go offshore 15 miles much more than I fish inshore (those who've gone with me / read my cobia reports know I speak the truth), still target reds feet from shallow oyster bars, and it HAS gotten me back in under horrible conditions 15 miles out.

Got stuck offshore in a blinding squall this past year that had to have had sustained 40 to 50 mile an hour winds, waves ranging on the low end of about 6' and think a few rouge ones probably came closer to 7' or even 8's.

Unlike most of the brief ones we get with the bulk of our summer storms, I sat bow anchored through it for what seemed forever (an hour or two). Got me back in completely safe and sound, albeit with frazzled nerves. Was the result of waiting three days with company to put them on cobia, and throwing caution to the wind the last day with the tiniest break in the inshore weather. Seems I make that mistake every 5 years or so, as the panga's actually gotten me back in a time or two before under conditions almost as bad.

Never will say the panga's the best answer for everyone... not a boat for big groups, can't run it at 70mph, wouldn't recommend it for the youngest children or those whose age compromises their mobility, but for fishing both shallow and deep, doing so economically, and doing so safely under most conditions mine's been a champ for me. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The panga design was developed by Yamaha engineers years ago for artisanal fishermen in Third World countries. The narrow beam, shallow deadrise and proud bow proved to be the perfect combination of seaworthiness and lower power requirements--which was the whole idea. To create a market for Yamaha's Enduro engines. You'll find pangas all over Mexico, Central and South American countries. I've seen them well offshore with a 70-hp engine in Costa Rica, Panama and Venezuela off the La Guaira Bank, which is a good 20+ miles off the coast and where seas often reach 10+ in height.

As BBG pointed out, they are not for everyone but no boat is completely universal. I have tested several pangas over the years, including the Andros, Mojito, Angler and others and have always been impressed by the ride and performance. If you search Salt Water Sportsman in the Boats category you can find some of my reviews. (The Andros is my favorite.)

For your fishing area and requirements, the panga may be the best choice. Finding one within your budget will probably require a long and dedicated search, though. As an alternative, you might look at either 17 Mako or Aquasports. Both have the ability to fish fairly shallow yet run off aways when conditions are right. A 90 or 115 is plenty of power, but be aware those older hulls were built with wood stringers/transoms so keep that in mind as you shop. I used to own a 17 Aquasport years ago that I fished everywhere I do now in St Marks, only I couldn't stay quite as long in the creeks and along the shore due to the slightly deeper draft.

Quick search and found these on BoatTrader.com within your budget.
4482332_20131008094831036_1_LARGE.jpg
4482332_20131008094831036_1_LARGE.jpg (51.63 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
Stuart, FL
4547481_20140115113553346_1_LARGE.jpg
4547481_20140115113553346_1_LARGE.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
Jax, FL
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

I have a 22 ft Skeeter bay and I only fish at Apalachicola I have fished there for the last 4 yrs. It will fish as shallow as you would need for that area and I have come across that bay thankful I was in a 22 ft boat. I have left out many a morning with the bay like glass run out to outer Islands and by lunch time have the worst ride of my life comming back in. Like Rhettley said if you live close enough to pick your days a smaller boat would do but I wouldnt go below 20 ft.
Thom

Post by Thom »

Any thoughts on this Hydra-Sport? http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/boa/4331360849.html I'm thinking this could be a low cost way to spend some time fishing while I learn what I really want.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Thom wrote:Any thoughts on this Hydra-Sport? http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/boa/4331360849.html I'm thinking this could be a low cost way to spend some time fishing while I learn what I really want.
Looks like a good fishing boat to me as long as a sea trial and mechanic show it to be up to snuff. You can make a lot of little improvements on your own to tailor it to your style.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Looks good. Jack plate and everything.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That's a very solid boat. I've owned one and really liked it. It drafts a little deeper than my flats boat but the ride is very smooth.
Team Jolly Mon
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

My friend still has one, unless that's it! He lives ESE of Macon. Good ride for a small boat. 115HP will be fine with 2 fishermen, maybe even 3. If it's not beat to hell & the engine compression really checks out, then offer to buy gas to top off tank. A leaking tank will require that you inspect & sniff the bilge upon your first looking at the boat. Then fill that tank and take a 60min test ride on the gas that you paid for. Also make sure that you know how much water is the bilge BEFORE the boat slides into the water.

Run the engine at all rpms, Flip every switch and see what does and does NOT work PROPERLY. Gauges work?? Turn hard to starboard, turn hard to port. Run it in forward. Run it in reverse. Check all those switches a second time. Power trim all the way up and all the way down, do it two or 2-3 times. See if there is gas or a gas odor in the bilge when the boat ride is over. Fixing a leaking tank will be an expensive headache. Be there when the plug is pulled to SEE what & how much is in the bilge. There should not be any more water than when you left. 1 gallon for an hour in the water is NOT too bad. After that test ride, the gear oil had better look clear....... NOT MILKY. Loosen the scew, it only takes a large screw drive and 30 secs. No need to unscrew it very far. Again, it will help in making an offer.

These are just some of things that will help you avoid "surprises" after your money has changed hands. Ask him about all the above BEFORE you climb on board for a test ride. If they don't all check out as he insisted they would, make your offer accordingly. All of the above apply to buying this boat or any other one. Good luck. Send me a pm if have more questions.