Anybody familiar with Snipe Island?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Anybody familiar with Snipe Island?

Post by GaryDroze »

On maps, it looks like a road near Econfina State Park (Snipe Grade) dead ends very close to Snipe Creek and Bowden Creek, a bit west of the Econfina River. Can anybody tell me if one can get to the creeks from that road, and/or if those creeks generally hold fish? Looks interesting, but I don't know if that road is private or public, or if the creeks are any more than a trickle.

I'll return the favor by revealing strategies for attracting 4-spot redfish (hint: luck trumps skill).
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Anybody familiar with Snipe Island?

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Gary,

Not sure how close you can by land. There are definitely fish. If you're interested in exploring up the creek by boat one weekend let me know; happy to go for an adventure. You may be surprised how far up those creeks a boat can push...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
carolinaskiff238dlv

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

I was actually looking for Snipe Island on Saturday. I ended up seeing a sign going into a creek and it said, "Gambler Creek" if I remember right. Anyone know if I was close to Snipe Island?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I would have to check my GPS one shows snipe island while the other doesn't.I think its about halfway between econfina and aucilla.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Snipe Island is actually two islands. And they are more like hills in the marsh rather than actual islands. On Google Earth, they just look like a cluster of trees surrounded by marsh. They are more easily accessible from Snipe Creek than they would be from Snipe Grade. Might be an OK place to drag a kayak through the marsh to the creek from the end of the grade, but I imagine it being more work than it'd be worth. That marsh is some pretty difficult terrain to traverse.
Attachments
snipe2.jpg
SNIPE.jpg
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Is that also referred to as "Double Humps"?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

This just begs for a wading recon mission. Especially with upcoming low tide cycle. I'll see if Snipe Grade yields access to those creeks, or it turns out to be a "snipe hunt." Check back here next Tuesday!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

That looks like the area we have always referred to as "Double Humps"
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Using Google maps shows Snipe Island to be between the mouth of Snipe Creek and the mouth of Bowden's creek where they both empty into the bay. The island is formed by the serpentine path of both creeks.

By boat is seems to be accessible by foot.....I don't know!
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

Yall really think so ..if so i have some beach land in the far end of snipe creek far sale LOL...
gldearman

Post by gldearman »

GaryDroze — I can't tell you about the amount of water in the creeks. But I can tell you that Snipe Island Grade runs through land owned by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. The land between the end of the road and the creeks/islands you're talking about is part of the Big Bend Coast Tract, conservation land owned and managed by the DEP. Can't tell you whether it's open to the public or not. I'm a DEP employee, so I should theoretically know who to ask, though I'm not sure I do.

I've gotta say that I admire your pioneering spirit. Most of the time, I'd think of a wading recon mission through uncharted swamps to fish a couple of unknown creeks sounds like a blast. But don't you think that this weekend is going to be a little cold for that sort of thing?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

You're probably right. But I can't help myself. What if the fishing is epic?
gldearman

Post by gldearman »

You make a good point. Heck, even if the fishing is terrible, you can say you waded to somewhere no one else fishes, and you saw things most people never see.

On the other hand, there will be an even stronger low tide in two weeks. And, if the weather is near its historical averages, it'll be warmer then.

If you go, good luck and deliver us a full report. I might follow in your footsteps and try the trek myself if there's a suitable low tide when the weather isn't quite so cold.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

If you're really planning to do it, please take some advice. Yes, it's only about 1/4 mile walk through the marsh from the end of Snipe Island Grade, but 1/4 mile walk through that marsh will take you close to an hour. You won't be able to see the creek until you are right on top of it, because the marsh grass will be shoulder to head high. Marsh grass is a combination of sawgrass and needlerush. Sawgrass can cut you up pretty good, and needlerush sticks in you like a thorn. Take a GPS! If for no other reason than to be able to find your way back to where you parked. I have surveyed miles and miles of mean high water line close to where you'll be. I have walked through some of the toughest terrain out there (swamps, marshes, dense brush, San Pedro Bay, etc.......) Marsh is the toughest. Be careful and take plenty of water. And good luck!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

REPORT: Drove 2.6mi down Snipe Island Grade. Sign said no motor vehicles past that point. Fair enough. Backpacked for 20 minutes on muddy grade, getting excited as I felt like I was closing in on the end of the grade.

With maybe 1/2 mile to go, I encountered a locked gate. No trespassing. Violaters will be prosecuted. On a public road? In a Wildlife Management unit?

Turned around and slogged back. Fail.

ARRRGH!