Low (trolling) speed throttle improvement...sticky!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

youngbearman

Low (trolling) speed throttle improvement...sticky!

Post by youngbearman »

I have a brand new 150 E-TEC which runs perfectly in every way...except...when trolling. I get frustrated getting it to run at just the right RPMs because ut jumps around so much. My friends cant get it at all since it requires so much practice! I am wondering if anyone knows if this may be an easy fix I can do at home (fingers crossed) or if I have to take it back to the shop...
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Low (trolling) speed throttle improvement...sticky!

Post by captkeyser »

Can't help ya there... Good luck. :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GET YA A CAN OF W-D 40 AND SPRAY ALL CONNECTIONS WHILE SOMEONE WORKS THE CONTROLS, THIS WILL PROBABLY SOLVE MOST OF YOUR PROBLEMS, ALSO AS IT GETS WARMER THE CONTROLS LOOSEN UP A GREAT DEAL. MAKE THERE IS NOT KINK'S ON THE CONTROL CABLE.
GOOD LUCK
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

does it try to go back to neutral or just fluctuate speed?

If like the Yamahas, then you have a screw under a little rubber seal beneath the throttle that adjusts tension.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

When I worked with DNR we had the exact same motor. We experienced the same problems you were talking about and through the course of the summer it never got better. We took it to the shop 2-3 times but the problem persisted.
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Your 150 E-Tec has electronic fuel injection. It's controlled by an on board computer that is receiving thousands of signals a second from several sensors. The computer is constantly adjusting your timing and fuel mixture. I suspect you are trolling at just above idle. Your on board computer can't decide if you're going fast or idling. All of this is controlled by software loaded in the onboard computer, and factory presets. IF I'm correct there is no adjustment or fix.
What was I supposed to do today?
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

Search etec owners group, but my 115 does that at a certain throttle position when fast idling.