Electrical Issue

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Electrical Issue

Post by fishing coach »

Took the cover off the boat this morning, hooked up the battery charger and was pleased that the motor turned over and cranked on the third try (first cranking since September). But, I have a weird issue with the bilge pump. No matter which ground wire I hook up it runs. This includes the cranking cable for the motor. It's also the same way if I use the manual bilge switch. Anyone ever had this problem or have any possible solutions?
leonreno

Re: Electrical Issue

Post by leonreno »

Does your boat have a battery switch? If so then it usually has a common ground. The problem is probably the water level sensor in the bilge pump, it's stuck on, so once ground is connected the circuit is complete and it turns on.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

........X2.....
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've had a few high-end bilge pumps go bad. They don't make them like they used to. Worst luck with Rule. The Saharas seem to be holding up better.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Agreed on the float switch. I would add that most pumps these days can be wired to use the float switch or just work manually on a console switch. You can probably find a wiring diagram for the one you have on line.
fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Post by fishing coach »

Does your boat have a battery switch? If so then it usually has a common ground. The problem is probably the water level sensor in the bilge pump, it's stuck on, so once ground is connected the circuit is complete and it turns on.
Don't have a battery switch. Probably just should look into replacing the bilge pump? I just think that it's weird that the pump comes on whenever any of the ground wires touch the battery terminal.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Your bilge pump should get power, unswitched, from any of the batteries hooked into your electrical system. That's how I would want it to be for safety. The last thing you'd want losing power is the bilge pump. The manual switch doesn't work because it's being overridden by the float switch. Have you tried tapping on the pump? A little tap might free the stuck float switch.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah, coach, what reelhandy said. Most gizmos can be fixed by spitting in the back and slapping it.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.