Best Humminbird maps for this area?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Best Humminbird maps for this area?

Post by Steve Stinson »

I bought a Humminbird depth sounder / gps combo off of Craig's list and need to get a map chip for this area. Which map would you guys recommend? I have been using a handheld gps until now, so I have no idea where to start.

Thanks - Steve
swsapalachicola

Re: Best Humminbird maps for this area?

Post by swsapalachicola »

I have the Hummingbird 788 and use Navionics Gold for USA & Bahamas
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Steve, i have 898 si with the platinum card. You are welcome to plug it into your unit to test it if you like
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

I had a lowrance 113cHD that I really liked but I thought that I wanted the down imaging and side imaging so I went with a humminbird 998c si. I bought the navionics card for US and Bahamas for mine but either I'm not using it right or it's not working or something. It just doesn't seem to give the same detail around oyster bars and shallow water as the lowrance. Is it just me or can someone maybe lead me in the right direction for things to check to see if don't have it loaded right?
Thanks
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Thanks Don. I will give you a call. I would be interested in bringing my boat by and asking you a few questions about the Humminbird. It doesn't seem as intuitive as the Garmin handheld I have been using. I can get my points converted and loaded into the Humminbird, but so far, I haven't been able to get the Humminbird downloaded to show my tracks and additional points stored on a recent trip.

If your chip works, I will go ahead and buy one for mine.

- Steve
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Steve,

Get with Don and let me know if you need some additional assistance. I have Humminbird 989c SI. I love it. I previously had a Garmin and Lowrance. I'm liking the Bird. I use the Navionics Platinum card.
The Back Porch
Trailer Trout

Post by Trailer Trout »

Where is a good place to buy the navionics platinum chip? I have a humminbird 997c si.
bman

Post by bman »

Steve- I got a Lowrance loaded with the Navionics maps. They are every bit as good as the Garmin.

I think your experiencing the same issues Ive had moving away from Garmin after nearly 15 years of use.
The interface from Lowrance and Hummingbird seems a little less intuitive.
Some one step actions on the Garmin seem take two or three steps on the Lowrance.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Trailer Trout wrote:Where is a good place to buy the navionics platinum chip? I have a humminbird 997c si.
I bought the Navionics+ card from here http://www.thegpsstore.com/Navionics-PL ... P3824.aspx . They send you a blank card and then you download the area of maps that you want, up to 2 gigabytes. The advantage is that you tailor the map area, and the info downloaded is everything they have in that area from the Gold and Hotmaps charts. The area I downloaded goes north to Myrtle Beach SC, south through the Keys and west to Texas in a rectangle. You don't get the 3d charts that the platinum has, but I didn't want 3d anyway.