Buying a boat for the big bend.. What is typical up there?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MrWesson

Buying a boat for the big bend.. What is typical up there?

Post by MrWesson »

I was in tallahassee for 4 years but been in fort lauderdale for 4 years now and I am coming back this summer :-D . So excited to get away from all the people down here and traffic.

While in tallahassee I had a 18' fish/ski and it didn't work well for much past being a river rat but I did some flats fishing with it. I have since had a old 19' aquasport down here and it was even worse over here. Ironically I think it would be nice to use up there but I sold it before getting a job up there.

Boat will be dry stored in st marks.
Will be trailered only to fish other areas and about 4 times a year on the apalachicola river(camping,tubing and hanging out).
35% flats fishing/25% offshore/35% cruising around as a guess(fishing some spots of course).
I'd like to fish 2-3 guys on the flats, 4 down deep, and room for 6 to cruise around.

My budget will be 15k max to start and of course the lower the better for upgrades. I may upgrade later though. I am mechanical and have done everything from a transom replacement to minor engine repairs

My thoughts...

22' bay with a HPDI,Opti, or etec(4 strokes will probably push past my budget in this size). I found a 04 22' key largo down here with a 04' 150 HPDI for 9k down here. This would be a question of a boat with a lower freeboard vs something with less draft and more freeboard for the rougher days/storms. Not sure which way to go.

Besides my idea of a good boat for there what do most people own(I cant remember while I was there)?
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Buying a boat for the big bend.. What is typical up ther

Post by zload »

I have a 20' Key West Bay Reef and fish similar to what you are describing, usually do some light offshore over near Mexico Beach in the 25 mile range but even then you really have to pick your days in a Bay Boat hull. No so much that it is dangerous as it is just hard to fish/standup. All the things that make the bay boat hull nice for inshore work against you offshore. Some will advocate for an aluminum hull due to the rocks but you would give up some offshore capability even against a bay boat then. You'll see everything from a kayak, pontoon, bay, jon and larger CC on the flats so you'll get a million opinions. I think most guys go in what the boat they have. I think we all need three boats a technical skiff, a bay boat and an offshore CC... not happening at my house! Welcome back to God's country!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Key West Bay Reef, Sea Pro or Skeeter Bay would be my recommendation. You should be able to find one in your price range. Look on Craig's List / Tallahassee.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Given a 15K budget, I'd go for the Hornbeck 12 foot "New Tricks" Kevlar canoe, an Adventure Technologies carbon fiber paddle, and 1,000 bottles of Belgian Tripel Ale.
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

zload wrote:I have a 20' Key West Bay Reef and fish similar to what you are describing, usually do some light offshore over near Mexico Beach in the 25 mile range but even then you really have to pick your days in a Bay Boat hull. No so much that it is dangerous as it is just hard to fish/standup. All the things that make the bay boat hull nice for inshore work against you offshore. Some will advocate for an aluminum hull due to the rocks but you would give up some offshore capability even against a bay boat then. You'll see everything from a kayak, pontoon, bay, jon and larger CC on the flats so you'll get a million opinions. I think most guys go in what the boat they have. I think we all need three boats a technical skiff, a bay boat and an offshore CC... not happening at my house! Welcome back to God's country!
Exactly the problem I face. Larger CC in the 22-24' range or a 20-22 bay that would probably be in a bit nicer condition.

I've had my 19'er in 800' of water but it was far from ideal. On one side I dont want to make the mistake of buying a boat too small on the other we are talking about St marks vs the atlantic ocean so I could take advantage and save some cash on gas and the boat. Leaning towards option 2.
Steve Stinson wrote:Key West Bay Reef, Sea Pro or Skeeter Bay would be my recommendation. You should be able to find one in your price range. Look on Craig's List / Tallahassee.
All great boats. I wont be buying anything with wood construction this go round. Fiberglass work is itchy :-D .
GaryDroze wrote:Given a 15K budget, I'd go for the Hornbeck 12 foot "New Tricks" Kevlar canoe, an Adventure Technologies carbon fiber paddle, and 1,000 bottles of Belgian Tripel Ale.
1000 bottles of a craft beer will keep me paddling.. Until I can't.
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

What about something like this?

24' dusky 250hp suzuki 4 stroke
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/4391517577.html

Obviously it will draft more(advertised at 14") but what you give up in draft you make up for seaworthyness and space.

It would be this compared to something like a 21' angler but a bit newer. Even considered a 21' triumph for the durability but not sure based on the all plastic hull design and warping being dry stored.

I've bumped the budget up and will now consider something up to 25k and take on a payment. Because of the wife interior and exterior condition is very important now.

On a side note Shields vs Shell point for dry storage? I know shields is a bigger operation but what about cost savings at shell point?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That Dusky is HUGE! I like to fish too shallow for that boat. I don't know of anyone on here that has a Dusky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

I would not fish inshore in that, its a big boat.I would stick with a bay boat if your doing what you described. Pathfinder, seapro, keywest...... :thumbup: :beer:
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

Flint River Pirate wrote:That Dusky is HUGE! I like to fish too shallow for that boat. I don't know of anyone on here that has a Dusky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny the perspective vs down here in south florida. Its a small boat down here.

That boat would get you in big trouble in the atlantic half the year. FWIW Dusky makes a top notch boat..

slowroller wrote:I would not fish inshore in that, its a big boat.I would stick with a bay boat if your doing what you described. Pathfinder, seapro, keywest...... :thumbup: :beer:
That was the way I was leaning.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Forget the comparisons between the Atlantic/S. Florida & the Big Bend. Totally different fishery and conditions. If you want to fish inshore with some trips nearshore on nice days (or safe, comfortable runs out to Dog Island, etc.), a bay boat will be your best overall option. There are plenty within your revised budget, including this one nicely rigged in Apalachicola at Wefings:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003- ... -102213032

There are also plenty for sale by private owners. I would stick with the better known brands for reliability and re-sale down the road, but PF, Sea Pro and Sea Hunt are all good choices.
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

A buddy of mine has a 22 ft 2006 sea chaser with 200 suzuki four stroke listed on craigslist under albany ga type in Newton it will come up he will probably take less he only used it twice and has had it only about year I fished out of it when he first got it that boat has been used very little it is in nice shape
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Check out a panga. Lot of fans on here.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Bayfisher

Post by Bayfisher »

I have a Pathfinder 2200 and, in my opinion, it is a good boat for what you are describing. I have been in pretty shallow water with it and a trolling motor still moves it along well. I have also been offshore in it. As stated above, I would still pick my days to take it offshore. Keep an eye on the MBC forum, some Pathfinders come up for sale on there in your price range.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Check out a frontier by k2 marine. (Kenner bros).Make a nice 21 ft for reasonable price.