Spray-in liner for new aluminum hull

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

A friend of mine is ordering a custom aluminum boat from this builder. He has done a lot of research on this and everything he has found out is that the boats this place makes can't be beat for quality builds to what the customer wants.
https://sites.google.com/site/custombuiltaluminum/home'
He is considering but is undecided on a spray-in liner. Any comments on the pros/cons of doing this are appreciated.
He lives in the ATL area but will be using it a lot in the big bend for creek/flats fishing. Also would appreciate any input on a good place to get this done, especially from any of y'all in the ATL.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Re: Spray-in liner for new aluminum hull

Post by slowroller »

Seen a few around Tallahassee with line-x in them and people love them. Seems like it would be easy maintaince. I think Minco on magnolia dr. does it here.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Ryan's in perry does it too.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The liner will add significantly to the weight of the boat. Depends on the thickness it is applied, but that stuff can get pretty heavy...

If used in salt water, any water penetration between liner and surface of the aluminum can spell big trouble. However, if applied properly, that should not be an issue.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
carolinaskiff238dlv

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

Has anyone tried it on fiberglass hulls. The floors in the skiffs are terrible to keep up. Seems like that would help on maintenance.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

carolinaskiff238dlv wrote:Has anyone tried it on fiberglass hulls. The floors in the skiffs are terrible to keep up. Seems like that would help on maintenance.

I have no problem with my C/S Sea Chaser floor. Before washing, use a 50/50 bleach/water mix and spray the floor. Let soak for about 10 minutes, then brush with detergent water. Any marks or stains that do not come out can then be touched up with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

DO NOT wax the floor.....you won't like it LOL

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Hydro turf. A lot cooler on the bare feet, doesn't retain water, slip resistant and very light weight.
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

I had a weldbuilt with the lining in it and loved it. It was easy to maintain, cooler on the feet and slip resistant. Just be sure to get a light color so when you're out in the sun it does not get hot.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I second the hydro turf. Sweet material.

The old proline I have had been sprayed with bedliner before I got it. I had that stuff ground out because it looked really bad and chalky.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

How does that compare to seadek?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

MarkM wrote:How does that compare to seadek?

Seadek is great stuff as well, but from what I've seen hydroturf is much lighter.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bbb

Post by bbb »

MarkM wrote:How does that compare to seadek?
Prob a lot cheaper. You can get a 86"x47" in white for $42 a sheet. 4 sheets should do a 18-19' open boat. Add in the cost of the contact cement and your under $200 for the whole boat.

Also gray diamond cut is $40 a sheet and more durable than the cut groove. But I've had the cut groove on my boat for 5-6 yrs and it's still in good shape.

You can order it with the 3m tape already on it($30 per sheet more)which makes for a quick and easy installation. Or you can save $$ and install it using weldwood contact cement. Both will keep the turf down for years to come.

http://hydroturf.com/products/Closeouts ... ts_of_Turf
bbb

Post by bbb »

Stain resistant too. I've had deer ducks and fish bleeding on the floor of my boat and it washes right out. If it dries I use a pressure washer.
bbb

Post by bbb »