Spoon fed Reds 5-20-14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Spoon fed Reds 5-20-14

Post by fishinfool »

I launched from the Saint Marks NWR ramp at about 6:30. Wind was from the east at 10-12mph and water temp started at 74°f. Since high tide was at 7:45 I decided to go to a creek in Stoney that has produced in the past.I worked a Spook thoroughly through the creek with no luck. Then it came to me that I pretty much had the bay to myself and one of my favorite spots that has been occupied my last 3 trips would be vacant of interlopers. I quickly headed there. Again I worked a Spook hoping for some explosive top water action. After a few minutes I got a push from a Red. He was not very aggressive, so i switched to my go to ADL spoon. A few casts later I was rewarded with a 27 1/2" bruiser. Shortly after I picked up a 16" cousin of his.
I picked up and moped to spot #3 and found more hungry Reds. I caught 3 and lost 3 in this spot, all on the same spoon.
I worked a shoreline that should have been on fire, but was not. Finally I switched to a jerk shad with a weighted hook and picked up Red #6. The tide was running out pretty quickly, so I went out to a flat that has been producing Trout. I only managed 3 shorts before calling it a day.
Final tally..16", 17",18", 19", 20" and a 27 1/2" red, 3 short trout and a smile.
The water temp at 1:00 p.m. was 76°f. Clarity was pretty good. The water is still stained, but clearing. Visibility of 3 feet was the average. Starting to get some floating grass.
NCM_0025.JPG
NCM_0027.JPG
NCM_0030.JPG
NCM_0031.JPG
NCM_0032.JPG
NCM_0034.JPG
Last edited by fishinfool on May 21st, 2014, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlie tuna

Re: Spoon fed Reds 5-20-14

Post by charlie tuna »

Sounds like a great trip on the water !! Thanks for the report!!
mrbigglesworth

Post by mrbigglesworth »

Great report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Great job!

Those reds are beautifully dark! ;)

~~Dave
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Good job. Glad to hear the waters clearing. Seen any scallops yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

Nice pics. Gotta love that spoon bite!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Atta boy Jim, I'm glad you had a good day. Congrats
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Good quality report Jim! Wish my work and school schedule allowed me the same week day fishing freedom :-?
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I will give them a try in the morning out of Ecofina!!!???
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I did not see any sign of scallops. One of the shorelines I was working had an abundance of blue crab. I was surprised not to see more reds in that area. Maybe as the juvenile crabs show up, so will the reds.
Good luck to you Charlie. The outgoing tide and creeks with good water flow seemed to be the ticket.
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

:thumbup: :beer: :thumbup:
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
bluerunner

Post by bluerunner »

I think I may have seen you at the ramp. I was the guy in the ancient whaler putting in beside you. I also went after the reds, but without much luck. Caught two near Palmetto Island , but they were short. I then moved onto the flats hoping for some trout. Found I very nice 22 inch spec fishing one of the rock piles and a lot of shorts and catfish elsewhere. Around eleven AM, I moved out to the stake line and fished a trench where I have had some luck before. Quickly caught two 19 inch trout and called it a day. Home by 1:00. I love those early high tides!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Got in the water around 8:00 AM and was suprised at the large number of trailers in the parking lot!! I knew i only had an hour of any decent current to fish in. Ran North and found the water dark, like weak coffee!! Water temperature was 76. Started off using a spoon, and didn't produce any hits, plenty of mullet along the shoreline, but nothing bothering them. Shifted to a jighead and gulp penny w/ chartruse tail. That started producing as i released two rat reds and another that was about 20 inches -released also. Then picked up two keeper flounder, lost another at the boat. Then picked up a 24 inch red that went in the cooler. Two nice meals for the wife and i. The action shut off as the tide stopped. Was back back at the dock(Ecofina) at noon. Had a three foot gar on for a few minutes on the gulp -- this tells me that there is still plenty of fresh water pouring out of the rivers as they are still flooded...
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

charlie tuna wrote:Got in the water around 8:00 AM and was suprised at the large number of trailers in the parking lot!! I knew i only had an hour of any decent current to fish in. Ran North and found the water dark, like weak coffee!! Water temperature was 76. Started off using a spoon, and didn't produce any hits, plenty of mullet along the shoreline, but nothing bothering them. Shifted to a jighead and gulp penny w/ chartruse tail. That started producing as i released two rat reds and another that was about 20 inches -released also. Then picked up two keeper flounder, lost another at the boat. Then picked up a 24 inch red that went in the cooler. Two nice meals for the wife and i. The action shut off as the tide stopped. Was back back at the dock(Ecofina) at noon. Had a three foot gar on for a few minutes on the gulp -- this tells me that there is still plenty of fresh water pouring out of the rivers as they are still flooded...
Nice work. I see that good karma found you after you released your first keeper. Good on you
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven