Econfina Topwater Slam -- 5/26/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Econfina Topwater Slam -- 5/26/14

Post by dolphinatic »

Too much work lately has severely cut into fishing these days, so Monday afternoon presented a slight window to hit the water for a bit of fishing with the family. We got down to Econfina about 1:30pm and backed down the ramp. Had 2 guys pull their boat into the slip where we were loading. I waited for a minute, then politely asked if they could move over so I could launch. By this time, the other guy had pulled up to load their boat. He finally figured out that I wasn't moving for him, so they went to the other side. I launched, then went to park the truck. I get back to the slip and my wife informed me that the guy chewed her out about "proper launching procedure." He didn't have the sack to mention it to me, so I started towards his truck so he could enlighten me on how a-holes load their boat. He saw me approaching and promptly got in his truck and drove off back to GA. We finally push off and head down the river.

We run out towards Aucilla and start fishing in 3 ft. Second cast is met with a huge topwater explosion yielding this 26.9999" stud.....
EconfinaRed1.jpg
EconfinaRed1.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
EconfinaRed2.jpg
EconfinaRed2.jpg (18.08 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
2 casts later....
EconfinaTrout1.jpg
EconfinaTrout1.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
The late afternoon trip is starting well. Then, 5 minutes later, we get company.....
EconfinaMoochers.jpg
EconfinaMoochers.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
With the entire gulf wide open, they feel the need to ease right on up and start fishing. I manage a few more trout and decide to move on. We get to the second spot where Zach is met with this nice red....
EconfinaRedZach.jpg
We fish for 2 more hours and boat some nice trout, reds, blues, jacks and the ever present ladyfish. Back at the ramp at 5:30pm and home before dark with enough time to filet some reds and trout for dinner :lick:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina Topwater Slam -- 5/26/14

Post by Gulf Coast »

That's funny....nice fish :thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Nize catch ... but if the guys were from Ga., then they knew the rules and you were out of line. They just left to avoid injuries to you. :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Good trip! How was the water clarity?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Thanks for the report, nice fish! Funny how people just don't consider basic common courtesy while on the water? Just takes one incident to spoil your day!
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

:thumbup: :beer: :thumbup:
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Was the second boat from GA too? :-D

Nice report!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work Tom
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Good report. What's the water clarity?
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I have noticed more ramp aholes and drift crowders at Anky this year and they certainly are not all from GA. :o

I'm rigging a special rod with a one ounce spoon to share with those who seem to want see how close they can pass my boat.
It's a big frigging gulf so keep some distance. I understand boats that inadvertently drift close together before someone moves.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Redbelly wrote:Good trip! How was the water clarity?
Water clarity wasn't too good in 3-4 ft. I threw brighter color topwater and it seemed to work fine. Red/white seemed to be the flavor of the day :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Great job on afternoon topwater slinging, with nice pics to boot...

...and thanks for reminding me of the main reason I like wadefishing creeks when the entrances are way skinny on dropping tide: no moochers!