New reel suggestions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

New reel suggestions

Post by onefishtwofish »

I got a $100 gift card last night to Cabelas. Been thinking about getting another 2500 size reel and letting my Shimano Sahara be my backup. I am very happy with the Sahara and Symmetre lines (have some of each). But since 100 of it is basically free, I am thinking about getting a better reel. So I have looked at the Quantam Smoke 25 pts or the Stradic. Any other suggestions at the $200 price point would be welcome. Just curious what some folks think is the tops in a $200 reel.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: New reel suggestions

Post by silverking »

Been very pleased with the performance and durability of my Stradic CI4 reel. Use it in the kayak, so it's been fished hard.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Stradic
pizzle4

Post by pizzle4 »

I love my Stradic Ci4's. Go ahead and splurge! :wink:
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Stradic hands down!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

What rod are you putting it on?
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I like my Stradics. But I love my Quantum pts. Why? I've never had to repair or service my Quantums.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
bman

Post by bman »

I've tried several other brands and can't beat Shimano...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

All of the Stradics and the Quantum PTS series (Cabo) are great reels. Never fished any of the newer Smoke reels, but I've heard good things about them as well. I think you've narrowed your search down to two of the best reels for the money, so now it's just a matter of personal preference.

If you decide to expand your search to include a baitcaster, I would strongly encourage looking at the Abu Garcia Inshore Revo3. I've had mine for about a year, and it's become my go-to.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have a Smoke and have been very pleased with it. Last weekend I caught several large bonnet heads and a few pretty stout Jacks on it and the drag performed great.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Doc,
If you decide to go with the Stradic, you might want to consider bumping up to a 3000 series. It's the same reel as the 2500 in terms of ball bearings, drag, etc. but the spool is larger. So you get 35 inches of line recovered per turn of the handle (another inch) and can pack more line of it. The 3000 will hold 170 yards of 8-pound mono vs. 140 for the 2500. Both CI4 versions come in at 7 ounces weight.

Not a huge difference, but it will count when you get a big red, jack or something else on the line and need a little extra.

The CI4s will exceed your budget a bit unless you find one on sale. But the lighter weight sure is welcome after casting all day and the carbon composite is more salt-tolerant.

I've owned the Quantum Cabos and they are excellent reels with great drags. They are heavier, though. Haven't tried the new Smoke models.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Both Stradic and Quantum Smoke PTs are excellent choices. If you decide to go Shimano, take a look at the Saros FA. I have done service on both the Stradic FJ and the Saros FA. They are virtually identical inside. The biggest difference is the case material. The Saros has a plastic side cover, where the Stradic is metal.
I am quite happy with my Smoke. Lightweight, good drag, and pretty smooth.
Any one of the three should satisfy your upgrade desire.
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

I've got a Saros that's less than a year old and some older Stratics and love them both. My Boca's are a lil on the heavy side but nice reels.I say the Saros to get you under budget or either add a cpl bucks for the Stradic. Either way you can't go wrong. Silverking turned me on to the Saros when I bought bought my second of 2 Shimano Crucual rods from him and it was a good call. Love my Shimano rigs!!
Flatsbroke
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Sounds like I will be fine with either one. Now I need to go to Kevin's and pick out a rod. I sure like the Shimano's and have been really pleased with the lower quality ones, so I think the higher end will suit me well. That Smoke looks pretty though.

One question after doing a little reading. The Smoke has a silent drag. Has that been an issue for anyone, positive or negative? When I am fishing lighter lines, I kinda like to know when the drag is spiting a little when I set the hook.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I just could not pull the trigger on the Ci4. I am a tightwad I guess, even with free money. I really liked the feel and the balance of the Quantam Smoke 30PTS on a St. Croix Premium 6-6 rod. I figured I saved enough to pay for half the rod. It is my trout rig. If anyone wants to know my impressions, shoot me a PM after the summer. I still don't think I have spent as much on fishing reels as my duck hunting shotgun, so I guess I gotta be tight somewhere. Thanks for your thought everyone.