Ecofina 6/7/14 with my family and a newbie.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

My wife talked a good friend of hers into going fishing with us today. After choking on the 5:30 departure time she was excited about going. After a stop at JR's we got to the ramp at 7:30. We got out there and headed out towards Aucilla. We fished there for a while with nothing to show for it. I talked to Welby who said he was doing a little better south. So we headed to some of my spots in that direction. It did not take long for our newbie to get the hang of the rod and here is her 1st fish. Image Of course we got quite a few jacks today. Fun to fight. Image. My wife got a nice trout. Image. In fact in 3 casts she got the trout a flounder and a sea bass. All nice ones. Ended up talking to Redbelly too. In fact at one point Welby and Redbelly were within sight of me. In fact they scared away my fish Lol. Here is a couple more 1st's. Image. Image. And my boys 1st grouper. Although it's a little short. Image. And he got the last fish of the day after we doubled on flounder. Image. Image. We never found any clean water and the temp ran from the high70's to the low 80's. Found few trout but flounder and Seabass saved the day. Redbelly and Welby how did y'all end up doing? It was a great day on the water with my family and friend. Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on June 8th, 2014, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Ecofina 6/7/14 with my family and a newbie.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Try again on the 1st fish pic. Image.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Saw a guy from Thomasville at that landing that said they had a Pompano. I asked him if he was sure because it was probably a jack. He asked me to look....and sure enough it was a jack. That would have been a nasty surprise if he tried to eat it.

charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Sounds like Ecofina fishing didn't change much since Thursday, Thanks for the report..
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

You should have let that good Ol' Boy try eating that Jack! LOL!

we finally kicked the skunk off the boat with a red and a flounder. What a sloooooww day, we stayed and moved around until 4:30, can't say we didn't try hard. salute2
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Lol man you were supposed to kill them after we left. At least you got dinner. Hope you marked where you were next to me. That area is where we have been killing the flounder for the last 4 trips.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

charlie tuna wrote:Sounds like Ecofina fishing didn't change much since Thursday, Thanks for the report..
. How did you do thurs?

charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Fishing the points and shorelines for reds and couldn't buy a "RED BITE" due to the schools of jacks! It was solid action, and yes they do put up a good fight!! Most of the schools were small fish, but I did manage some in the four pound range which had me "hoping it was a red?", but just another jack!! Also did good on the flounder, but they were on the small side, and released all, except one. I brought one home for my mother-in-law to try before I take anymore. She loved it, just pan fried it!! Caught a few trout and ladyfish. Switched over to lures the jacks weren't too well attracted to. Last year I hit a few spots and really caught some very nice flounder. I know nothing about their habits??? I have been somewhat targeting them this year and catching them but not as big as the original ones?? The original fish were three and four pounders. Took nine fish -- fillet out, served nine adult meals.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

charlie tuna wrote:Fishing the points and shorelines for reds and couldn't buy a "RED BITE" due to the schools of jacks! It was solid action, and yes they do put up a good fight!! Most of the schools were small fish, but I did manage some in the four pound range which had me "hoping it was a red?", but just another jack!! Also did good on the flounder, but they were on the small side, and released all, except one. I brought one home for my mother-in-law to try before I take anymore. She loved it, just pan fried it!! Caught a few trout and ladyfish. Switched over to lures the jacks weren't too well attracted to. Last year I hit a few spots and really caught some very nice flounder. I know nothing about their habits??? I have been somewhat targeting them this year and catching them but not as big as the original ones?? The original fish were three and four pounders. Took nine fish -- fillet out, served nine adult meals.
3 and 4 lb's are nice flounders for sure.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Glad y'all got a mess....
We struggled with the bite but had a fun day fishing with my cousins. I'm really blessed with good family. We ended up with a flounder, a trout, and a Blue....other than that, all trash fish...one nice stingray.

Conditions were great and look forward to the next trip.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Welby wrote:Glad y'all got a mess....
We struggled with the bite but had a fun day fishing with my cousins. I'm really blessed with good family. We ended up with a flounder, a trout, and a Blue....other than that, all trash fish...one nice stingray.

Conditions were great and look forward to the next trip.
Good deal. Having fun is what it's all about. You going again this weekend?
stonewall

Post by stonewall »

Hit-n-Miss, I was down last weekend as well and brought a couple of first timers with me. I think I spoke with you on the radio about the slow to almost nonexistent trout bite because I remember you said you caught a short grouper. We put in Econfina around 7am and fished hard until 3:30 and managed 4 flounder, 12 rock bass, and two trout that we didn't boat until 3pm right around the mouth of the Aucilla. We caught 10-12 jacks, couple of sharks, and some lady fish. So, the action was fun and all of them had a blast and are ready to come back! One of the guys just got back from a 2 yr job as a missionary to Poppa New Guinea and he was so excited to be able to take home the fish. He said he used to fish all day over there and catch 1 fish so this was exciting for him. Next time we are down I'll holler and officially introduce myself. Thanks for the good report!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

stonewall wrote:Hit-n-Miss, I was down last weekend as well and brought a couple of first timers with me. I think I spoke with you on the radio about the slow to almost nonexistent trout bite because I remember you said you caught a short grouper. We put in Econfina around 7am and fished hard until 3:30 and managed 4 flounder, 12 rock bass, and two trout that we didn't boat until 3pm right around the mouth of the Aucilla. We caught 10-12 jacks, couple of sharks, and some lady fish. So, the action was fun and all of them had a blast and are ready to come back! One of the guys just got back from a 2 yr job as a missionary to Poppa New Guinea and he was so excited to be able to take home the fish. He said he used to fish all day over there and catch 1 fish so this was exciting for him. Next time we are down I'll holler and officially introduce myself. Thanks for the good report!
:-D Sounds like a good day. Look forward to meeting you. :-D