south fl trip

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wacissaguy

south fl trip

Post by wacissaguy »

Wish I had pictures, I went back home (to me ) and went fishin with my best friend who unfortunatly still has to live there.I picked my time for what was supposed to be the best weather.Well we all know by now that the weather service does not have windows in their bldg, but apparantly they have forgotten what low pressure systems are.I was supposed to have 5 to 10 knt wind with seas beyond the reef running from calm to 2 to 3 feet. I got 10 to 15 with seas running 3 to 5 feet, we fish out of a 20 ft Dusky marine boat.
We made the best of it we could and on our bottom fishing trip the 1st day we ended up with 6 mutton snapper,1 red grouper and a bonito,also various species we weren't keeping.
Second we recuperated-we were both so beat up we could barely walk. The 3rd and final day we went trolling for dolphin, which was much better than hanging on a hook, it took us several hours to find em, but we finally ended up with 15, and left em still biting.
All in all a good trip, good times,good food and decent fishing.
Ifishtoo

Re: south fl trip

Post by Ifishtoo »

Enjoyed your post. Recently retired here in the eastern Fl pan handle, live north of a fishy area, "The Forgotten Coast". Carrabelle to Mexico Bch. Really would like to find fisherman.

I fished Steinhatchee for many years, fished Crystal River, St Pete/Clearwater, Pine Island/Captive Pass, & throughout Florida's east coast from St Augustine to Ft Pierce. I know exactly where Waccissa, in Jefferson County. Is the spring still flowing?

Were you fishing in the keys or along the southeast coast? I'm guessing the keys. Nice to hear you got some muttons, but NO yellow tails?? Guess you were fishing near the bridges?

We also have a few friends farther south. I'm from a small town called "Orlando", not quite a big as Tallahassee in 1969. If ya ever head to Steinhatchee/Keaton Bch, I would be glad to grab my book and meet ya down there. We lived in Taylor County for 9 yrs. Sold my last boat (owned over a dozen in 40yrs!) back in 2007. Sold out, left the state, and now retired....... and don't know a soul over here outside Marianna/Blountstown! LOL. Wife of 43yrs says, "Go fishin or......."

Sorry about the "Weather Service"......... still not much better than 40yrs ago!
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

<<<--------I love fishing the wacissa. Great little place to catch some bass!
Kayak mostly.

~~Dave
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

Hey there "I fish", My friend lives in Homestead just 10 minutes from Bayfront boat ramp, we usually put in there. We target muttons in 140 to 160 feet of water over hard bottom.We don't catch yellowtails, because if you start a chum line you lose the muttons to sharks. Its really a diffrent type of fishing using as much as 40 feet of flourocarbon leader and up to 3 lbs of weight because of the current-no current no fish. I am also retired now and like to get out at least 1-2 times a week, in freshwater I am always looking for big shellcracker, and saltwater I also sold my big boat-so I keep myself to the flats, creeks and small inlets-love trout fishing.Oh yes the spring still flows.
Dave the wacissa has me buffaloed-can't seem to find the bass, have not knocked myself out looking for them, but what little I have done haven't had much luck.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Dittos on the flouro carbon. Have used 100 yds of flouro carbon spool to fish for mangoes and red snapper off the east coast, before the ban began in 2011??? For awhile there, you could buy a 20-60 lb 1/4 lb spool for about $15-20. Stren brand, I believe.

20-40 yrs ago, the fish were not a "wise... aka finicky". Seems they learned what meant "Trouble"!

Glad to hear the spring is still flowing in Wacissa. Do you get down to Spring Warrior often?

I'm guessing the Aucilla River has been high lately, too. Looks like rain again over there, today

Good luck. If you have an extra seat, I would enjoy any outing. I got a new license, but I'm beginning to wonder "What for" :lol:
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Wacissa is somewhere I wish I spent more time going. I only go once or twice a year for some reason. In anycase...... Acadamy sports has a house brand frog that is smaller than most frogs. It is wonderful for little river bass thick in the weeds ( wacissa, wakulla...etc) I like black or white. When you get it, trim about an inch of the "legs" off to cut down on short strikes and to make it "walk" better.

The other thing I throw there to great success is either a small 3/8 or smaller white spinnerbait or a #4 snagless sally in yellow. They SMASH these lures with abandon.
Texas rigged watermelon senkos and pop-r's and spook jrs round out my list. Oh.....and always pack some black beetlespins because if things get tough, the bream AND bass...and everything else....will hit a beetle spin.
The fishing is good- and better the farther south you go.

Have fun.....I'm due for a trip there soon!

~~Dave