Steinhatchee Fishing 06/28 - 07/5

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Steinhatchee Fishing 06/28 - 07/5

Post by zload »

Spent the last week in Steinhatchee... fishing wasn't great the FWC officers who stopped me one afternoon just laughed when I told them I was going fishing...

Most of the trout we caught were in 7' of water or more, mainly shorts but managed some keepers every day. Lots of bait out in deeper water especially around some of the sand banks where the water was really clear until later in the week. We got a lot of cutoffs in those areas and I presume based on what we were able to get to the boat that it was mainly Spanish but some smaller sharks as well. Plenty of jacks and ladyfish around as well.

Water temps inshore were in the 86 - 87 range, water was very clear north of the SH river, south was still much darker but starting to be able to see bottom.

Ran out to one of the reefs in federal water to drag some Stretch 30s for a little while caught some small sea bass but no grouper.

Floating grass was pretty much from south of Pepperfish to Big Grassy, was so thick in some areas that using jigs with jerk baits was difficult.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Good Tidings

Re: Steinhatchee Fishing 06/28 - 07/5

Post by Good Tidings »

Good trip! :D :D
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Zload, how deep did fish offshore? Did you bottom fish any?
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Thanks for a great report !
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Ifishtoo wrote:Zload, how deep did fish offshore? Did you bottom fish any?

We were around 35' - 38' didn't do any bottom fishing on that trip. We didn't spend much time out there.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150