St Marks Smoker 7-6-14

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

St Marks Smoker 7-6-14

Post by Jhults11 »

Dad and I haven't had a solo trip with just two of us in quite some time. The opportunity presented itself Sunday so we took advantage. We were blessed with super slick seas but man was it HOT! We pushed away from the fish camp around 8 and sprinted to the flats to catch pinners and piggies. After 30 mins we had a blacked out live well including some nice hardtails for the flat line. After bait we headed south to 35 feet running about 30 mph. Upon araival we anchored and started dropping for gags. After a few shorts on lys, we "had em puking" and dad snuck down the first live bait. He got popped pretty good and brought a nice 24" Gag in the boat. After boxing the gag, I put out a bait on the flatline and and set it in the rod holder. We went back to work on th gags and within 5 mins I put a good 25" gag in the cooler. About that time I hear dad yell and I look back at the flat line to see a Monsta king go airborn about 6-8 feet up. Once it hit the water it took off like a dam Ferrari. I had 250 yards of 80 lb braid and he dumped all but about 15 yards on the initial run. I cupped the spool and prayed I wouldn't pull the hook or break the line but I had to try and stop the big bastage. I managed to stop him just in time before I was out of line. I fought him back and forth up and down and around the boat about 5 times. He did his best to break me off on the bottom of the boat/lower unit but I guess he wasn't aware it wasn't my first rodeo. Knowing it was a sea Monsta, Dad timed the fight and it went just about 24 minutes. Dad waited for the opportune time for a gaff shot and hit a home run on the first swing. We both pulled the big bastage over the rail with a loud bang once it hit the deck. Neither of us could believe the size of him being in that shallow of water. It was a new boat record and we were ecstatic. It was a task putting him in the 160 qt cooler :o . After that we hooked two more kings but both ended up pulling the hooks. We tried a few more good gag spots but by noon the bite was non existent. We heads in on flat seas with what would be a memory dad and I will share forever. Did I mention it was HOT! We weighed hime back at the dock and he went 34 lbs :o . Hope everyone had a good Fourth of July! -Tight Lines
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Smoker 7-6-14

Post by Rhettley »

Great report! I'm craving one of those line stripping runs soon!
Nambleman

Post by Nambleman »

Nice king! My dad pulled in his first one out of St Marks a few weeks ago. Man are they runners! Nice gags too!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Awesome!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com