Sort of fishing related...and lots of not fishing related

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Sort of fishing related...and lots of not fishing related

Post by Danibeth »

I headed down to south florida last week to participate in a UWF wood duck box building party and visit with friends and do some fishing. Met some new people, hung out with people I hadn't seen in a while and caught up, and we built boxes.

We were directed to a lake to try for some Peacock Bass. Sadly they never showed up, but I added another fish to my trash list. The Mayan Cichlid. They're a lot of fun. Like giant bluegill.

Steve and I caught about a dozen of those each. I also caught three or four large mouth bass too.

If y'all are down that way, and enjoy microbrews, stop at Saltwater Brewery right off of I-95 in Delray Beach. The Sea Cow brew that they had was awesome. VERY tasty.

The rest of the week I spent carving decoys with Steve in the afternoons. We haven't completed them yet, but we've got a few good ones in the process.

The two black teal and the sleeper teal in the front are mine, the redhead on the right is mine. The red head on the left, the preening shovelor and the full body teal are Steve's birds. I will definitely be making another trip down there to finish up painting my birds.

And of course my Black Dog helped out too....though did more beer drinking than carving, but hey.....helping is helping right?

It'll be fun to add some new decoys to my rig this year......

Danibeth
big bend gyrene

Re: Sort of fishing related...and lots of not fishing relate

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ok, Danibeth, with each and every additional post I find myself increasingly wondering if you're a real person or just a fictitious female character dreamt up by Bman. So... are you 100% SURE you're real?! :wink: :lol:

Joking, or at least semi-joking aside, awesome post as usual! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work!! Good lookin boxes and really nice decs. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The guys in UWF really do a bang up job for duck hunting in Florida. I've been a member for years. They are having a waterfowl symposium in Ocala coming up pretty soon. I try to go at least every other year. Some good information. :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

big bend gyrene wrote:Ok, Danibeth, with each and every additional post I find myself increasingly wondering if you're a real person or just a fictitious female character dreamt up by Bman. So... are you 100% SURE you're real?! :wink: :lol:

Joking, or at least semi-joking aside, awesome post as usual! :thumbup: :beer:
I wondered the same thing when she first posted, a girl that not only hunts hard but hunts all over and does LOTS of killing ta boot. Well, I had the pleasure of meeting Danibeth in the cafeteria here at work. She is real :beer:
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

:lol: :lol: BBG- Barry must have an outstanding imagination :-D And to plant someone at work to meet micci_man too....devious guy that Barry is

Thanks y'all
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Danibeth wrote:devious guy that Barry is
Well, that is accurate.

Looks like a fun trip!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Awesome job on them decoy's! I've met her also....she bought a Bee Trap from me. :thumbup: :D
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Those are some nice looking decoys. I would love to get into making a few for myself just for fun and to try my hand at it although I can't paint worth a flip. Where do you get the forms and heads? Are yall using a rotary tool to do a lot of the carving or just carving knives?
That cichlid is a pretty fish. They do put up a fight. When I lived out in W TX I used to catch several varieties of them wading the clear water of the Llano River.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I'm not super great at paint either so don't feel bad. In fact these are my first not black and white birds. I've finished coots, a couple bufflehead and a ringneck so this is definitely a learning experience in the paint department for me.

You can buy blanks from www.theduckblind.com . I'm sure there are more places to find blanks. I'd recommend buying a blank unless you know someone who knows how to properly lay out the patterns and cut them out and have them show you how to do it properly than doing the trial by error thing (which is how I started, which produced some ....ummmm....interesting results).

I've not used a knife to carve much. And what i've used have been xacto knives (yeah yeah yeah they aren't great knives but when they were sharp they were very easy to use, though some of them weren't very sturdy). For the bodies I use a heavy duty rasp to shape it. It's slower but easier to get the body symetrical and looking like a duck body than a lopsided block of wood. Steve uses a Stanley Surform rasp that you can get at walmart or homedepot and probably lowes. I used for a long while a plain ole dremel for shaping the heads. I tend to keep to the sanding wheels, though I do have some of the more aggressive tools. I was digging through my dad's garage one day and found an old Craftsman Flex shaft Rotary Tool. I asked him where he got it and he didn't realize that he still had it, so it became my new carving tool. So I use a "cheap" flex shaft rotary tool for most of my head work.

Steve has a foredom and a bunch of tools that really eat away the wood and cork quickly (as well as legs, shorts, shirts, fingers and anything else that gets in its way). I've used it a little bit but I have smaller hands and the tool is pretty big so it's awkward for me. I'm sure there are smaller versions but until my current tool dies, I'm not going to upgrade.

If you have an aircompressor and tool that you can put different sanding drums/wheels on then that would work too. That's actually how I started. My dad has an aircompressor and I'd just use the various sanders for shaping everything. So there are lots of different ways to go about it...

I really suggest getting together with someone who actually knows how to carve and use their tools and see if it's something you're actually interested in pursuing or if after a block or two, you're done and happy and moving on to something else. In Jacksonville there is a carving club with world class carvers that were happy to share techniques, time and info on carving pretty much anything. I haven't looked yet to see if there is a club here in Tallahassee or not.

But, if you want to start and try by yourself a book that is a really really really good source and easy to follow is Making Decoys the Century Old Way by Grayson Chesser. Order a blank set from Willy at The Duck Blind and you can get started with as few tools as a rasp and an xcacto knife with a couple different shaped blades. If you're interested in the book, I think I might have a second copy of the book that you could borrow or buy. I can check on that if you're interested.

Danibeth
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Thank you Danibeth for all the information! That is NOT a cheap hobby.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

hahaha what part of waterfowling is cheap? But it does tickle me to look out in my decoy spread and see ones that i carved myself
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Danibeth wrote:hahaha what part of waterfowling is cheap? But it does tickle me to look out in my decoy spread and see ones that i carved myself

Bam ... there it is! They used to say quail hunting was the sport of kings. I think now it is duck hunting. :smt007
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!