Motors

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dollargary

Motors

Post by dollargary »

I have a decision to make and I really need some advice from the members of this forum . I am about to purchase a new boat,motor and trailer. My problem is the motors. The dealership has two identical boats and I mean same boat and same trailer. The problem is one boat has a 115 Yamaha ,and the other has a 115 Suzuki both are 4-stroke engines. The Suzuki is 1,000 dollars cheaper. The problem is I have never owned or operated a Suzuki out board,but my last boat had a115 Yamaha on it . Never had a problem with that engine. Could someone please give me some advice on the Suzuki engine. I know it probably comes down to preference . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Since this is a large purchase,for me, I would like to know the facts and I know I should pay the extra money go with the Yamaha,but if the quality and workmanship on the Suzuki is as good as the Yamaha then I don't see paying the extra money. Again thanks in advance.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: Motors

Post by red_yakker »

Don't have any experience with Suzuki, but a Yamaha is hard to beat when it comes to reliability. If I had to make the choice, I'd pay the extra $1,000 for the Yammy. That being said, I'm currently running a Honda that I'm very pleased with.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Yamaha. :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Also no experience with Suzuki (but have heard some good things). But have you ever heard anyone say they didn't like their Yamaha? For $1000 difference, I'd go w the yammer hammer. Good luck :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dollargary

Post by dollargary »

Thanks guys that is the way I was leaning. I figure I would have piece of mind with the Yamaha. Thanks again for your opinions, that helped me tremendously.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Call the guys at Tow Boat. They run Suzuki on their service vessels. One captain told me they started using them due to price, but continued due to reliability.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I have a 115 Suzuki and love it. Both engines are good. A lot of Suzuki's are on boats up the east coast. In some places they are the preferred motor. I've never ran a Yamaha so can't compare.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I am a die hard Yamaha guy but I am hearing great things about the Suzuki motors. Compare the warranty of each motor too. I wouldn't be afraid of a Suzuki if you have someone local to work on it. The bottom line is that anything mechanical will fail. Last year I had a power head blow on a brand new four stroke Yamaha with 3 hours on it. I had only owned the motor two weeks. Yamaha chose to replace the power head under warranty instead of replacing the whole motor as I requested. I just didn't want a brand new outboard that had been worked on. They were very rude to deal with and basically told me that they didn't care if I was upset about it. Their head guy from Kennesaw, GA sent me an email that really irritated me.

With that being said, they build a great product but I was burned with their customer service. It really disappointed me because I have purchased 9 brand new Yamaha outboards. The next time I buy a new motor, I plan to explore the Suzuki motors. One thousand dollars is a lot of money. You could put that savings towards equipment for your boat.
Team Jolly Mon
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Talk to Rainman on here, he has a 115 Suzi - motor runs great.

One of my coworkers just got an 18' (used, low hours) with a 115 Suzi 4 stroke and he loves it as well.

Been on several boats with Suzi motors, never had an issue with them.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I would buy a Yamaha every time.

However, every Suzuki owner I know is pleased. I'm regularly on an Everglades with twin 175 'Zuks and they are very nice.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
dollargary

Post by dollargary »

Your right Flint River Pirate I could use that extra money for some up grades on the boat. I am still comparing the two motors,haven't made my mind completely up yet. The information I am receiving from this forum has been a great help. I will search for more information and compare warranties. Rainman let me know your feelings about your 4 stroke Suzuki . Thanks to all of you for the help.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I have a 2003 2 stroke Suzuki on my boat and it's been a solid motor. If the warranties are the same I'd go with the Suzuki and put the extra money towards a towing service, insurance, fuel, and safety equipment.
dollargary

Post by dollargary »

Thanks Rhettley . I just talked to a person who has a 1998 2 stroke Suzuki and he said he has never had a problem with his motor. He stated he was at lake Walter F George this past weekend and ran the motor all over the lake, no problems. Makes you wonder if the older models were built a little tougher, not better, just tougher.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That old 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke was a bad dude. I wish I bought one in 2009 when they quit making them.
Team Jolly Mon
dollargary

Post by dollargary »

I was told by one of the dealers that the older 2 stroke motors had more power ,that it would get up on plane a lot faster than some of the 4 stroks. He said in 5 to 10 years their would be no more 2 stroks. Modern technology I guess.