anchor pole reinvented

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

anchor pole reinvented

Post by ertauber »

While fishing with a friend in Port Charlotte he showed me his anchor pole. A fiberglass 8' rod with a handle at top and a plastic rope attached. He would shove this into the sand, grass, oyster bar to anchor the boat. He could have bought a "power pole" for $1800 or this one for $100. So when I got back to Crawfordville I asked the local Ace Hdwr man what he could suggest. An 8' grounding rod of galvanized steel, a small hose clamp, a clip to fasten the rope to and presto a manual power pole for $11.00.
I tried it out last week on all types of bottom and it held in wind up to about 10mph. The nice thing is it actually holds, it doesn't tear up the grass on the bottom, it stores easy under the gunnel, very fast to setup.
Love this forum so I hope this helps someone. I would post pictures but I don't know how.
charlie tuna

Re: anchor pole reinvented

Post by charlie tuna »

Just the weight of the ground rod will anchor most boats !! :-D
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I use a stick it 8' anchor. it was about $80 and comes with all mounting and everything you need to anchor bow or stern.

They have them at bass pro.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I made the one I use on my aluminum boat from a 6' - 5/8" galvanized ground rod. Only I drilled a hole at the top end for a shackle that I tie the rope to. When I used it up around Charleston I could stick it in 10' of water if the bottom was soft by chucking it like a spear towards the bottom. Around the Big Bend the bottom is a lot harder so the spear chucking method doesn't usually work as well.
I have 2 of the 8' Stick It Anchor Pins on my 1800 Parker. I also got the stern brackets that they slide through. They call it the Brake. Seems to me that the brackets work well when its calm, but when there's chop they get pulled up and out by the boat motion. Using the lanyards the Stick Its hold a lot better in chop, so for that reason I wouldn't recommend the brackets just the pins and lanyards.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

An 8' grounding rod of galvanized steel, a small hose clamp, a clip to fasten the rope to and presto a manual power pole for $11.00.
Do you put a 'washer' of rubber under the hose clamp to keep it from sliding? Can you just use a split ring or something to tie the rope
to? How far down the pole should the clamp be, a couple of inches?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I have an 8' stickit pin. Decided I wanted a 10' so I got a 3/4" x 10' fiberglass rod from Graingers ($35.00) and was going to make a handle out of PVC but Stick It sells just their T-handle w/glue for $15.00. A little bit of sanding is all it needed.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

a couple of us made some DYI stick it pins last year. Got the T-handle, ferrule point and rods online, put together with 5200. Shipping is the most expensive part. Haven't tried mine out yet, but it does look professional enough.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 1&start=30

http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm
850-273-8818