Need help deciphering Reefcast

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhodes

Need help deciphering Reefcast

Post by Rhodes »

I’m planning a trip down to Panacea this Friday and Saturday to fish some of the nearshore reefs so I checked the seas forecast for those days and the NWS forecast is for “seas 1’ or less”. I also picked a point off Panacea and got a Reefcast forecast as well which seems to correspond with the NWS forecast. The “winds” chart is pretty straight forward and easy to understand but the wave height chart not so easy. I understand the wave height graph but not really sure about what exactly the red lines are showing me as well as the gold dots? Based on what I’m seeing I would think this is a favorable forecast and should expect stable wsw winds and stable seas at 1’ or less, would ya’ll agree? i tried to paste a screen shot of the Reefcast graphs but couln't.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Need help deciphering Reefcast

Post by onefishtwofish »

The red line on the wave chart is interval (period) between waves. Slow rollers (long interval) vs stacked waves (short interval). I don't see any gold dots.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

onefishtwofish wrote:The red line on the wave chart is interval (period) between waves. Slow rollers (long interval) vs stacked waves (short interval). I don't see any gold dots.
When you choose the plot mode "Reefcast with extra wave info" it plots the graph with the gold dots that representative additional wave data points, I just don't know what it's they're telling me?
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Steve Taylor put up a forecast for near shore fishing about a year or so ago. Maybe he can do it again. By the way, where is Steve????
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Looks like that is wind direction as well (it seems to match the chart above on direction).
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?