East And West Pass??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

East And West Pass??

Post by fishfeeder »

I havent been to either the east or west passes in a number of years. Which do you guys prefer? And on What tide? :hammer:
If you release them they will grow!!!!
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

...of st. george island?
for petes sake
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

I like the pass that is right between them, Sikes Cut. :-D :-D :-D
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Sorry Sikes cut and east pass between Dog Island and St George. :smt021
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

I have always fished Sikes Cut as it is usually and additional 10 miles (or more) of travel to East Pass and I have always had very good luck @ the cut. BUT I have read some people that should know and they say the fishing @ East pass is much more reliable, but that is a point that I cannot attest to.

The tide? When ever I can get there as long as the water is moving. I have seen the Bull Reds really fire off in October just after a slack tide.
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

GeorgeP, Thanks for the info. What type of baits do you prefer? Do you get into Pompano?
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

My favorite bait is about a 4 inch Pigfish, then a 4 inch Pinfish. The Pigfish are like candy to the BIG reds.

I have caught a few Pompano on the outside of the East Jetty, but most of my Pompano have come from the beach in the State Park. I have friends that have gotten into the Bull Whiting within a couple hundred yards of the cut (outside) and were actually pulling them in 2 and 3 fish at a time.

You should have a good chance at some Spanish. My favorite for them is the Cabela's knock off of the Castmaster spoon. Silver finish in a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 oz size. I took a couple of guys fishing last October and we got into the Spanish just outside of the cut. They are still talking about that trip.

Some people will tell you that the Spanish are not that good to eat. BUT what you will do is take the Spanish just as soon as it is in the boat, cut its' throat and stick in head down in a 5 gallon bucket half full of sea water for about 5 minutes, then gut it an put it on ice. Filet it as soon as you get to the dock, skin it and take out the red line then cook it THAT evening, I promise you will always keep the first few that you catch after that.

If you are fishing cut bait inside the cut, then you have a good chance of either Big Reds or sometimes sharks from a couple of feet up to 5 or 6 feet long. I have seen a Red that would have been about 40 inches long and maybe 25 lbs severed right behind the gills.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Which ramp did you launch from?
Bridge?
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

This year I am staying at a house that has a ramp in the Back Yard. 8)

Before that I was launching @ Apalachicola City Ramp. Since my Tow vehicle is a front wheel drive, and I am not familiar with the channel at the bridge and the lack of real parking at the bridge I have just never launched there.
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Thanks for the info it will really help. I plan to give these two areas a try over the next two months. :thumbup: