bass lures in saltwater?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

bass lures in saltwater?

Post by ertauber »

Being a fisherman from Wisconsin and recently moved to Florida, my tackle box was full of bass, northern pike, walleye and muskie lures. While fishing off Mashes sands I decide to put on a horny toad in white, no jig head just the worm hook. Pulled that across the flats and within 10 seconds had an explosive trout. Next cast was a blue fish. Since I was on a roll, next cast came back with 1/2 a toad-mackeral. Next tried a Zara spook in black and silver - redfish. Glad I found a use for that unused inventory.
gatoremt

Re: bass lures in saltwater?

Post by gatoremt »

Can't beat that. Congrates

Sent from under my bed ~ Griff
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

You can use them, but you will want to rinse them after every use. Gatoremt, was that you in oyster bay at dusk yesterday? The background in your picture looks awfully familiar.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Love fishing a tiny torpedo when schooling fish are aggressively feeding on bait balls. Also have caught trout on them in the flats during the early morning hours. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
gatoremt

Post by gatoremt »

I was not there yesterday. I was at Hickory Mounds. That picture was taken at Oyster Bay about a month ago though.

Sent from under my bed ~ Griff
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I use mostly "bass" lures and rods/reels. I have no problem catching saltwater fish. Espicially reds. I catch alot of reds in the kayak on bass tackle.

Sometimes the hooks needs to be changed out for stouter versions....and they all need to be rinsed afterwards if you can.
sosprey

Post by sosprey »

I fished the Guana impoundment south of Ponte Vedra to try out a new to me kayak and all I had on board was my spinner with a Devil's Horse tied on from a recent trip to Lake Carr. Wow! I had explosive action from the biggest trout I had ever caught. Of course the hooks rusted off within two weeks! But Lin and the boys at Kevin's have replacements for those.
Cheer up, it gets worse...I did, and it did!!
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I have always done real well in saltwater on Smithwicks, but as mentioned, just go ahead and change the hooks out.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!