Shark Encounter

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grasshopper

Re: Shark Encounter

Post by grasshopper »

2005 Cape San Blass a 16 year old was attacked by a bull shark and had to have his leg amputated, only 3 days earlier a 14 year old was mauled and killed by a bull shark close to destin. Not even one persons life is worth all the sharks in the gulf.
With age brings wisdom and I am with PA from Cairo on this one the only good shark is a dead shark.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

grasshopper wrote:2005 Cape San Blass a 16 year old was attacked by a bull shark and had to have his leg amputated, only 3 days earlier a 14 year old was mauled and killed by a bull shark close to destin. Not even one persons life is worth all the sharks in the gulf.
With age brings wisdom and I am with PA from Cairo on this one the only good shark is a dead shark.
I seem to recall a minor hit off of St. George's island, the one off of Cape San Blas was a kid with bait in the pocket of his swim suit wading and another minor one at the Cape. There was also reported some years ago that a deputy sheriff from Lowndes County wade fished off the east end of St. George and he was never seen again. All evidence pointed to shark attack as other fishermen had seen a lot of shark activity that week in the area.

Most folks don't realize it, but there is large population of tiger sharks that follow the cobia migration right through the big bend area. I've seen pictures of monster tigers drug up on beach and a huge one was caught by a boat in front of PC beach.

When I used to dive, I hit only 2 sharks with my bang stick. One was a 7' hammerhead in full blown attack mode. I blew his nose into his rectum. The other was a bull shark. He grabbed at my BC from behind and I turned and ended his life with a strike to the gills angling to his head. I had seen hundreds without incidence. Oh, in neither of these cases did I have any dead fish on me. I did have a sack full of lobster when the bull came in, but the bull didn't hit the sack.

I'm sorry, but I don't like sharks or poisonous snakes. Both stand a good chance of getting dead if they get too close to me.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

A nice chart showing shark attacks by FL county located here: https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/s ... /mapFL.htm

Not sure how accurate the data would be from 1800s etc. but it makes sense based on geographical features and population density. Probably more data on that site than I want to read but obviously there are plenty of sharks in the waters off the Big Bend, lack of major swim beaches and not being a major "water sports" destination probably plays a much bigger role in lack of bite incidents than actual shark population does. Even if you doubled the worldwide 2013 unprovoked attack events the site discusses to account for unreported attacks that is still a very small number relative to the number of people in the water on an annual basis.

The probability of a shark bite anywhere in the world is likely much less than the chance of you winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning... unless you just stay out of the water :-D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Ditto on the Tigers. A group caught an 11 footer off the beach at SGI. I believe it was in the state park. I've also seen some big sharks at the East end of SGI very close to shore(from my boat) that could inflict serious damage. Once I actually went to the trouble of letting the waders on the shore know. They seemed surprised but did take my advice.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

MudDucker wrote:
grasshopper wrote:2005 Cape San Blass a 16 year old was attacked by a bull shark and had to have his leg amputated, only 3 days earlier a 14 year old was mauled and killed by a bull shark close to destin. Not even one persons life is worth all the sharks in the gulf.
I seem to recall a minor hit off of St. George's island, the one off of Cape San Blas was a kid with bait in the pocket of his swim suit wading and another minor one at the Cape. There was also reported some years ago that a deputy sheriff from Lowndes County wade fished off the east end of St. George and he was never seen again. All evidence pointed to shark attack as other fishermen had seen a lot of shark activity that week in the area.

Most folks don't realize it, but there is large population of tiger sharks that follow the cobia migration right through the big bend area. I've seen pictures of monster tigers drug up on beach and a huge one was caught by a boat in front of PC beach.

When I used to dive, I hit only 2 sharks with my bang stick. One was a 7' hammerhead in full blown attack mode. I blew his nose into his rectum. The other was a bull shark. He grabbed at my BC from behind and I turned and ended his life with a strike to the gills angling to his head. I had seen hundreds without incidence. Oh, in neither of these cases did I have any dead fish on me. I did have a sack full of lobster when the bull came in, but the bull didn't hit the sack.

I'm sorry, but I don't like sharks or poisonous snakes. Both stand a good chance of getting dead if they get too close to me.
The equivalent to diving or swimming near sharks is taking a stroll among a lion pride hunting in the Serengeti plains. Its the place they go to eat, even though people are normally not on their menu. Why is that a surprise, other than how few times people get bitten?

EJ
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

EddieJoe wrote:
The equivalent to diving or swimming near sharks is taking a stroll among a lion pride hunting in the Serengeti plains. Its the place they go to eat, even though people are normally not on their menu. Why is that a surprise, other than how few times people get bitten?

EJ
I don't think I said I was surprised by the shark encounters. I am surprised by how few bites there are. Now if you want to increase your chances, go surfing on the north end of New Smyrna Beach or take a little swm out the Sebastan Inlet. :o
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

MudDucker wrote:.... Now if you want to increase your chances, go surfing on the north end of New Smyrna Beach or take a little swm out the Sebastan Inlet. :o
That's where I grew up learning to surf.. it definitely was not uncommon to have spinner sharks jumping next to you or have bulls/blacktips you run over while riding the swells...

Years ago I remember sitting on my board at a sandbar at Playalinda waiting for the next good set to come in and paddle in to, I was just looking around when BLAMMY! My leg gets slammed and I get pushed to the side. I see the man in the great suit now back behind me (bull shark, I think). Thankfully he missed and just brushed rather than latched on. I've never paddled with my finger tips before but I straight up laid out on the board and hurried myself to shore. :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Post by cast-n-stone »

My old surfing grounds also, the jetties. Good memories there . Was young and bullet proof, if you seen sharks you just laid on board rather than sit dangling your legs!
galantnole wrote:
MudDucker wrote:.... Now if you want to increase your chances, go surfing on the north end of New Smyrna Beach or take a little swm out the Sebastan Inlet. :o
That's where I grew up learning to surf.. it definitely was not uncommon to have spinner sharks jumping next to you or have bulls/blacktips you run over while riding the swells...

Years ago I remember sitting on my board at a sandbar at Playalinda waiting for the next good set to come in and paddle in to, I was just looking around when BLAMMY! My leg gets slammed and I get pushed to the side. I see the man in the great suit now back behind me (bull shark, I think). Thankfully he missed and just brushed rather than latched on. I've never paddled with my finger tips before but I straight up laid out on the board and hurried myself to shore. :lol: :lol:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

MudDucker wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:

EJ
I don't think I said I was surprised by the shark encounters. I am surprised by how few bites there are. Now if you want to increase your chances, go surfing on the north end of New Smyrna Beach or take a little swm out the Sebastan Inlet. :o
I wasn't very clear. I've seen lots of sharks in my time, too, including on the board, in the water, and fishing on top. Mostly they just pass by. Never had to bang stick one, but had a bull make passes at us repeatedly once while diving, then come up under our small boat, looking hungry. It's scary.

My point is that going into the water where sharks live and feed is inherently dangerous, although since we are not normal eating material humans getting bitten are fairly rare. Being In the water, especially around sharks feeding or being attracted by us spearing, is never truly without some risk, and shouldn't be seen as such. We wouldn't go walking around zebras being hunted by lions but we do mix it up with feeding sharks.

I think of them just like other top predators: necessary to the ecosystem and part of God's plan and creation. I respect them and don't kill them unless absolutely necessary, or if I am going to eat one. I certainly would defend myself if necessary to avoid harm, but wouldn't bang one for the heck of it, at least now. I have hit big ones in my youth and caught and killed them, too, just for the "sport" or out of general fear, but that was then.

EJ
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Remember: When you get in the water, you lose your place on the food chain...just sayin.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

fishinfool wrote:Remember: When you get in the water, you lose your place on the food chain...just sayin.
Exactly.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

fishinfool wrote:Remember: When you get in the water, you lose your place on the food chain...just sayin.
And that is why I carried a bang stick which had the nick name "The Equalizer". :smt005
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/09/09 ... ian-beach/

The guy that went into the water to try and help the victim has a big pair...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150