Camping/ boating suggestions

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kenfly

Camping/ boating suggestions

Post by kenfly »

Looking to take chase(my 6y old) camping and fishing. I have camped a lot at the state parks, just looking for something a lil different. Just gonna go for one night and have even thought about going to rock island there in the st marks river. I would be taking my 14ft alum boat wherever I go. So have to make sure I would safe in it. Just looking for anyone's suggestions for a lil adventure and somewhere to do a lil fishing. Can be fresh or salt. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Camping/ boating suggestions

Post by Salty Gator »

I'm not a big camper so I'm probably not the best to answer, but a few things come to mind. St. George island state park may be great this weekend. Ochlockonee river state park, bald point state park. There was a cool camping fishing report a while back about rock island that you mentioned. And I think the cabins at she'll island fish camp are super reasonable, so there's that option also. Good luck, have a blast, post pics
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

There is camping spots at the Sopchoppy city park also. You would have access to electric, water, bathrooms and showers, as well as the Sopchoppy River :-D I don't know about your youngun, but mine never cared for going poo in the woods :oops: Not necessarily different, but probably a new location :thumbup:

PS: They have a pretty nice play area for the kids also :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

kenfly wrote: thought about going to rock island there in the st marks river.

I was told that you had to have a permit to stay on that island. Not sure if that is true or not, but have thought about doing the same thing!!
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Have thought about st george and I can fish there inside the bay and have also looked into that city park in sopchoppy, don't think ya have to have a permit for that island(that I'm aware off) I do know you do at rock island at econfina that I have heard. As far as doing the island yes the bathroom thing is in my mind and the main question maybe can I leave my truck overnite at the lighthouse ramp. It's way closer than the fort to there and I'm in my lil 1436 Jon boat.

mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

A permit is technically required for the St Marks Island, which is called Apalachee Point. There is a recently resurrected sign on the south point stating such. That said, I've never gotten the permit and never had any issues. Beware of the low tides though. It's easy to get stuck dry on the east side.
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
bman

Post by bman »

How about Rock Island out of Econ
http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/wma ... ail/trips/
Longer drive but a lot more remote, less boat traffic and more ADVENTURE!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Rock Island would be a long run in a 14' boat loaded with camping gear, even if you left from Hickory Mound. I would suggest that you just camp at Hickory Mound, launch at the ramp midway across the dikes and fish the creeks or flats just off the sawgrass.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Hickory Mound would be a great spot during the week. I think that it has to much traffic during the weekends to be a decent camping place.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Ochlochnee State Park??
Stay Thirsty My Friends
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Thanks everyone, really interested in hickory mound I've heard so much about it and I do think I wanna try and go salt water. For what I read camping is only allowed at rock island and that is for paddlers only, looking for more info on it now or if anyone has more info I'm planning on going next Sunday-Monday 19-20 kids out of school Monday:) I have camped at the campground at econfina before and went out of econfina.

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

rocket wrote:Ochlochnee State Park??
Love that park, went there last time just a lil ride to get to the salt

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I was also told by good authority (Jumptrout) that Rock Island is a kayak-only campsite.

I've thought about camping at Hickory Mound as well, just haven't done it yet. The best spot seems to be the site on the west entry road coming from Econfina (on left, just before the road turns to run parallel to the coast). More secluded and more room to spread out than the other places. The concrete launch is about 5 minutes away and those creeks and the adjacent flats can all be very productive, especially this time of year. I've done well with DOA shrimp and the CAL jerk baits. Topwater Super Spooks and Rapalas are good as well.

Be careful and have fun. That will be some memories you and your boy will always cherish.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

There was a tent on the little island in the st marks river(apalachee point?) today that I noticed on our way in
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Well I decided to due a lil recon today and loaded up my oldest and went for a ride to hickory mound. Silver king spot on with the camping site, really nice
Area down on LT before ya turn toward to dikes. Boat ramps, well they are not the best in the world, I was there at low tide and getting a boat in or out would be fun especially if you didn't have 4wd, I do have that but still would be a lil fun. Only other worry I have is being able to put put my boat threw the creeks ok to the main water. Boat don't draft a lot but do have a 25 on the back and I'll just me and chase and a loaded cooler. There is 2 ramps and really can't decide which would be better, but I do think if the weather is right and I can work the tides we will be ok, (I hope) :)