Panacea trip report 10/9 & 10/10

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhodes

Panacea trip report 10/9 & 10/10

Post by Rhodes »

Headed out of Mashes Sands Thursday morning at daybreak to a near shore hump looking for trout. At 11:00 had only two keepers in the box and a few shorts to show. Went to plan “B”, caught some pins and headed out to Barge 24 area. Located some good bottom but nothing much to show….no kings….no cobes….and no grouper. Only caught a few grunts and sea bass. I did hook something on a double portion of squid that spooled me on 50lb braid and kept going! Headed to Ochlocknee shoals about 2:00 and found some thick turtle grass in about 5’ and also found the trout. Had our limits within an hour or so. Then back inshore to hunt some reds. We caught 10….6 just under the slot and our limit of 4 within! Headed out Friday morning to calm seas and a beautiful sunrise. Rolled up on Ochlocknee shoals with thoughts of a quick limit of trout but not today……only caught 6 shorts by lunch and none for the box. Headed back inshore to salvage the day with those reds but disappointment continued. Only managed two rat reds! Loaded up and headed home scratching our heads. I guess that’s why it’s called "fishing" and not "catching"! We did hit some huge schools of bluefish heading in Friday and had some fun with them for a spell. And of course there were ladyfish and needlefish galore on Ochlocknee shoals so there was constant action all day, just not the kind we would have preferred. But the weather was great and the water was beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip!
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Panacea trip report 10/9 & 10/10

Post by Blue spinner »

thanks for the report
ye just as we think we have them figured out the fish go and change the rules
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Panacea trip report 10/9 & 10/10

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: