Need a boat for flounder gigging

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Clw

Need a boat for flounder gigging

Post by Clw »

I want to start looking for a used boat for flounder gigging. What size, brands, ect are some good choices. I would like something that is stable for creeks and rivers. I assume a wide aluminum boat would be best. I want to use the lowest hp motor possible.

I have lived in the panhandle for 10 years but have mostly fished offshore.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Need a boat for flounder gigging

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE A ALUM. BOAT THAT WILL BE UP FOR SALE SHORTLY, IT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD BOAT FOR GIGGING. I WOULD THINK THAT A G-3, ALUM. EXPRESS, ALUM-A-CRAFT, AND MANY MORE FLATS FISHING BOATS WOULD BE AVAILABLE USED AND NEW THAT WOULD WORK GOOD FOR FLOUNDER GIGGING, OYSTERING, AND JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER SPORT REQUIRING YA TO GET IN THE WATER TO HARVEST. GOOD LUCK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

I've got a nice vintage boston whaler sport that needs to find a good home (listed in the "For Sale" section). It's a hull and galvanized trailer only so you could put the smallest motor you want on it. It's rated for 900 lbs (motor, gear, people). It also has a custom trolling motor mount on the front. It's just over 13' but is wide so it's a very stable standing platform on the front. I love that I can easily handle it by myself or get out and pull it over 5" of water. It's a great boat. Whether it's the best choice for gigging, I don't know, but it seems like it would be perfect. Gigging does sound fun.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
cheesecrakr

Post by cheesecrakr »

I have only recently begun flounder gigging from a boat and have spent maybe 15-20 hours doing it. From what I can tell so far, I would want a fairly stable boat with a platform up front, and if you will have one person driving while the other gigs, I would want the driver to have a foot controlled trolling motor on the bow. The motor on the bow gives more precise movements when you are up there trying to get on top of the fish. I use a 16' waco aluminum chisel point boat with a 35 lb thrust motor guide and a 40 hp yamaha.. It's not really wide, but it is stable and if I lift the outboard up, we can maneuver in around a foot of water. I would think some of the aluminum flat bottom bass tracker and crappie boats would work well. Just my input based on not much experience :D.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

A 16-19 foot aluminum boat with a big front deck is what you want. One of those mud-motors will open up some options for you on low-tide. I've found a 3 man team to be best. 2-4 mounted lights up front. One man up front with the gig, and one with a handheld spotlight standing right behind him (this guy is also the one to help pull fish off the gig), while the 3rd man poles, or uses the trolling motor from the rear of the boat.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

I have a G 3 model 1756 with 20" transom set up for 3 removable pedistal seats has a 27 hp long shaft GO-DEVIL motor low hrs and a Bear trailer . For Sale $ 6 K . It has a raised front Deck . ph # 850-997-2380
Boat is a 2005 and trailer, motor is 2004 purchased in 2005 .
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Have any of yall tried the led lights that go underwater instead of above the water? No glare, much much less power required. So no noisy generator. Sea striker and a few other companies make them. They made it sound like they were going to make using hps lights obsolete. Just curious, thanks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I have an underwater setup. I'm suing 100w equiv compact florescent bulbs in a sealed glass jar fixture I made. I tried an LED bulb for comparison & found the florescent works just as well & is cheaper than LED which are about 10x the price. I use two deep cycle batteries with an inverter. Running two lights I get at least 5-6 hrs on the batteries. I developed this mainly for bully netting lobster in the keys & it works great. Hadn't done any gigging around here with this setup yet but hope to in the spring/summer. I originally had three lights but found it was really too bright in clear water of the keys. I may have to use a 3rd around here though depending on the water clarity.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

DEMON wrote:I have an underwater setup. I'm suing 100w equiv compact florescent bulbs in a sealed glass jar fixture I made. I tried an LED bulb for comparison & found the florescent works just as well & is cheaper than LED which are about 10x the price. I use two deep cycle batteries with an inverter. Running two lights I get at least 5-6 hrs on the batteries. I developed this mainly for bully netting lobster in the keys & it works great. Hadn't done any gigging around here with this setup yet but hope to in the spring/summer. I originally had three lights but found it was really too bright in clear water of the keys. I may have to use a 3rd around here though depending on the water clarity.
It seems that the underwater lights are the way to go, thanks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven