Annual trip to the West

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

Annual trip to the West

Post by LucWilliams »

I've shared reports from our trips to Louisiana in years past and now it's becoming something we do at least once a year. This year we went earlier than usual since we will probably try to go again after the New Year. We left Tally Nov 21 and returned on Nov 25. My Dad and one of my longtime fishin buddies made the trip with me. It is awesome that my former college teammate has the waters south of New Orleans mastered and accepts us with open arms any time we can go. Conditions were a bit tough this trip but we still caught fish!

Day 1-Friday, Nov 21:
We dropped the boat in Pcola Bay on the way west so I could relive my college glory days fishing over there. We knew the Bulls should be thick in the bay and they were. Had a pack of about 20 boats alongside us chasing them. Between the boat wakes and the 12-15 knot winds, it got a little dicey. My buddy and I doubled up twice and we ended up with 4 bulls, only fished for about 2 hours until sunset. This is a crazy type of fishing and I would recommend trying to get over there in the Winter months if you have never done it!

Day 2-Saturday Nov 22-LA Marsh
Had the beginning of a front starting to push through so conditions were a little tough. Started with some decent sun but about an hour in we had full clouds and it just kept getting cloudier. Winds were 15-20 knots so we had to fish protected areas. Ended up with 5 slot reds and one bigger fish about 10 pounds. Saw 3-4 that were 15-20 pounds but couldn't entice them.

Day 3-Sunday Nov 23-LA Marsh
Fished the backside of the front after it pushed thru. We had full sun which is always lovely for sight fishing. Winds were brutal, 25-30 knots but we found fish in protected areas. Ended with 5 slot reds. Had a shot at about a 20 pounder, probably the biggest fish we saw all trip. I put a plastic right in his face but he passed on it.

Day 4-Monday Nov 24-LA Marsh
Best weather day we had. Winds were light enough that we could run to where we wanted to fish every day. Had pretty much full sun all day. My buddy and I fished my boat and my Dad got to ride high with my buddy's Dad in their Vantage. Fingers crossed that the trip convinced my Dad to buy one! We had about 20 reds total between the two boats. Lots of 8-10 pounders but no big fish. Caught several tailers which was probably the coolest shots we had all trip.

Monday night we went to Monday Night Football in the Mercedes-Benz SuperDome. Cool experience and an awesome Ravens win! The place was packed with Ravens fans which made it even better!

Lost one of my trailer fenders on the way home but luckily we were still able to continue driving. Trips like this don't come without issues, not a big deal. Just gotta get some work done on the trailer.

We were going to fish Pcola Bay on the way home but it was raining there so we decided not to. If you have never been to LA to fish, plan a trip. You won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LucWilliams

Re: Annual trip to the West

Post by LucWilliams »

And here are my Dad's pictures from the day he fished in the Vantage:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Looks like an awesome trip. Only problem is that if I were to go there during this time of the year, it would have to be a blast and cast! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Great report Luc, thanks for posting :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Nice!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good job under difficult conditions. Always nice when a plan comes together.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY LUC, Y'ALL DID GREAT. THE FISHING OVER IN LA. IS FABULOUS, IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 40 YRS. SINCE I WAS LUCKEY ENOUGH TO FISH THAT AREA, BACK THEN IT WAS NOT UNCOMMON TO CATCH REDS THAT WEIGHED IN THE 30-40 POUND WEIGHTS. I LOST A BUNCH OF PLUGS OVER IN THAT AREA, USING 20 POUND TEST NYLON LINE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO