St. Marks Rock Bass/Flounder 12-4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

foxtrotuniform

St. Marks Rock Bass/Flounder 12-4

Post by foxtrotuniform »

Ran out of the Lighthouse yesterday looking to get hooked up with some rock bass at a few holes we have in 10-12 feet of water south of the flats. The bass were there in great numbers a couple weeks ago, but they were long gone yesterday. Fishing the falling tide, we caught one or two short bass near the stake line. Caught a couple of keepers at 15' deep out of the Aucilla River.

The water was wicked calm, so we cruised out to Dog Ballard on a whim, and finally found the mess of rock bass we were looking for. Caught a half dozen keepers in about 30 minutes, then firewalled the creek boat and raced the sunset back to the lighthouse. Never did catch any flounder, but I felt a couple suspect bites while bucktailing Dog Ballard Reef.

I heard the flounder are piling up at nearshore wrecks at PCB and Mexico Beach. Going to try out St. Marks Reef and maybe Rotary in the next couple days to see if they're doing something similar here. This hot/cold weather is confusing to me. I'm sure it's confusing the fish too. At this rate, it will be spring before it's winter.
foxtrotuniform

Re: St. Marks Rock Bass/Flounder 12-4

Post by foxtrotuniform »

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice knot heads, good fish also :wink: . Congrats on the day. Slick calm seas to say the least. Nice work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

foxtrotuniform wrote: At this rate, it will be spring before it's winter.
Love that quote. Nice job on the sea bass.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Great job, guys. Aren't those black sea bass? We caught a flounder yesterday, but he was miles up the river above the fort.
Yours in the South