Ethanol question.

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Ethanol question.

Post by red_yakker »

The new store on the Beach Road on the way to Keaton, Katies Kountry Korner, closed a while back. That's where I normally got my non-ethanol gas. When they closed, I switched and started getting the non-ethanol from the Huddle House gas station in Perry. I noticed that my motor doesn't want to run at idle speed anymore using the new gas, and I realized that's because the non-ethanol gas at the Huddle House is regular octane (87), and the non-ethanol at Katies was high octane (93).

To test my theory, I emptied my tank and ran some e-10 93 octane from my local gas station, and the motor ran/idled fine.

I checked pure-gas.org, and found some other gas stations in town who sell non-ethanol, but none who sell 93 octane. The marina has 90 octane, which I'd be willing to try, but they are way out of my way, and I was hoping to find something closer.

My question is, can I just use the 93 octane (with ethanol) from my local gas station and use an additive that makes it safe to run in my outboard? If so, which one do you recommend? I also considered using the 87 octane from Huddle House and adding an octane booster, but after doing a little research on octane boosters, I don't think that will help.

P.S. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I had trouble finding it. If someone finds it and wants to send me the link, I'd appreciate it.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Ethanol question.

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I don't know the answer to your question. have you looked at your plugs though? With clean plugs the engine may handle the lower octane better?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

You could run the e-10 and add marine sta-bil (blue), but I would not. The reason is because the ethanol may not hurt your engine but it will more than likely cut any trash stuck in your tank out and can deteriorate the linings in your gas lines sending that thru your carbs/injectors and that could get you a blown engine.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Don't use any E-10 in your motor unless you want to get a lot of expensive work done on it later on. :x I just went through having carbs re-built and hoses changed because of ethanol. And I used Startron in the gas, which is supposed to get rid of the ethanol. Bull! :smt011
Yours in the South
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I have been using e10 for last 10 years in my Yamahas with no problem I have always used startron and have always over dosed . mine are newer models with injection and all the hoses and such are rated for e110 supposedly . maybe that is the reason, I do change my plus every year and my fuel and water filters every year.It has been almost impossible to find none e10 in my area
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Thanks for the replies. It seems most agree that I should avoid the e-10 & e-15 even with the additives.
According to the manual, it should run fine with the 87 octane, so I probably just need to take Brian's advice and clean my plugs, it has been a long time since I pulled them.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Benji,

Not sure if it applies, but if your engine is still under warranty burning E-15 will void it.

The suggestions to change plugs and stay with non-ethanol are wise. Even though I burn non E-10 in mine, I still add Star tron as a safety precaution. Also add a 10-micron fuel filter and change it at least once a year or more.

And remember, the best way to avoid fuel problems in boats is to use it--while fishing of course! :wink:
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

X2 Capt Dave, nicely said!
Team Jolly Mon
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

red_yakker wrote:The new store on the Beach Road on the way to Keaton, Katies Kountry Korner, closed a while back.
Not to be off topic, but WTF???? I haven't been to Keaton since October +/- so I was unaware of this! Seems weird because during the warmer months I'm there twice a month or more and have NEVER been there and been the only customer there. They always seemed busy and had plenty of business.

Anyway, this sucks! The gal from the marina when Jerry had it went to work there (Lynn I believe was her name) and she ALWAYS called me by name. I absolutely love that type of customer service and am saddened that they aren't there anymore.
jzimmer

Post by jzimmer »

Both Rockys in the Perry area carry non ethanol gas.But what ever you do I would not use any gas with ethanol .Contact your congressman and tell him to support the bill to remove ethanol gas from the market
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Sun Daze wrote:
red_yakker wrote:The new store on the Beach Road on the way to Keaton, Katies Kountry Korner, closed a while back.
Not to be off topic, but WTF???? I haven't been to Keaton since October +/- so I was unaware of this! Seems weird because during the warmer months I'm there twice a month or more and have NEVER been there and been the only customer there. They always seemed busy and had plenty of business.

Anyway, this sucks! The gal from the marina when Jerry had it went to work there (Lynn I believe was her name) and she ALWAYS called me by name. I absolutely love that type of customer service and am saddened that they aren't there anymore.
I don't think they closed due to lack of business. The owner/operator became an owner/lessor a while back and started leasing the store to a family member to manage. From what I gather, some sort of dispute arose during which the owner said he'd rather close the store and sell it rather than have to deal with her anymore, and apparently, he wasn't bluffing.

I've heard rumors that it has sold and should be opening back up soon, but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope it does re-open, and I hope it's similar to the way it was.