Lake Talquin -- old river channel

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

Lake Talquin -- old river channel

Post by spothogg »

Does anyone know if the old river channel followed the Gadsden County/Leon County border line? That would make sense given that the border is not at all straight. Asking for navigational reasons. Now, if anyone out there has a GPS track of the river channel and wants to share it... :-D
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Talquin -- old river channel

Post by reelhandy »

Lake Talquin is one of the lakes Navionics covers on their web app.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@3 ... 550916,12z
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Thanks! I'd not come across that in my inter web searches.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

The river channel is the County line.

The contours on the Navionics mapping does a fair job of showing the river channel. I would say 90% accurate WHERE THEY SHOW A DEFINITE CHANNEL.

You said you wanted to know for navigational purposes. Not knowing what part of the lake you frequent, I'll say that if you go over 10 MPH between a mile above Coe's Landing and Williams landing you probably can't keep your boat in the channel.

If you Run Lake Talquin it's not a matter of if you hit something, it's a matter of when you hit something. I've been running that lake for 40 years. Waivel rebuilt my skeg 2 months ago.
What was I supposed to do today?
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Yeah, I hear you. I don't even have a full year yet of fishing Talquin. Last summer, shortly after acquiring my boat, I was all smiles running WOT throttle about a half mile south of the curtain toward the north shore and hit what I think was a stump. Got my attention real quick and thought I knocked a hole in the boat. No damage, but I've been leery every since. That map is also good for spotting potential fishing holes. I don't have a fish finder yet, so it's all guess work so far.
tin can wrote:The river channel is the County line.

The contours on the Navionics mapping does a fair job of showing the river channel. I would say 90% accurate WHERE THEY SHOW A DEFINITE CHANNEL.

You said you wanted to know for navigational purposes. Not knowing what part of the lake you frequent, I'll say that if you go over 10 MPH between a mile above Coe's Landing and Williams landing you probably can't keep your boat in the channel.

If you Run Lake Talquin it's not a matter of if you hit something, it's a matter of when you hit something. I've been running that lake for 40 years. Waivel rebuilt my skeg 2 months ago.
bgbillybadbass

Post by bgbillybadbass »

There is an aerial map of talquin from the last time it was drawn down.

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/32547

It has been useful, namely in getting familiar with the lake itself for the last couple years.. Ive generally had no issues running my boat anywhere west of Williams landing, I just spend some extra time marking stumps when they draw the lake down a foot or so in anticipation for a storm.

I tend to idle or crawl anywhere east of Williams landing. I get some scowels from some of the bass boats but I don't mind, and with the number of bends in the channel in that area I tend to troll and fish it more anyhow.
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

That's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing!
bgbillybadbass wrote:There is an aerial map of talquin from the last time it was drawn down.

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/32547

It has been useful, namely in getting familiar with the lake itself for the last couple years.. Ive generally had no issues running my boat anywhere west of Williams landing, I just spend some extra time marking stumps when they draw the lake down a foot or so in anticipation for a storm.

I tend to idle or crawl anywhere east of Williams landing. I get some scowels from some of the bass boats but I don't mind, and with the number of bends in the channel in that area I tend to troll and fish it more anyhow.