Anybody read Spring Creek Chronicles and

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Sutton

Re: Anybody read Spring Creek Chronicles and

Post by Steve Sutton »

Coastal Pirate.....if there is an interest in Florida history not directly associated with the Panhandle and fishing I'd recommend the following four....two of them non-fiction and the other two fictional but with a good grasp of facts minus the "ficticious names"....Three of the four are primarily about the Ranching industry and the third is something of a catch all as to subjects....

First the non fiction....

Florida Cow Hunter: The Life and Times of Bone Mizell -Jim Tinsley - this one is almost exclusively related to the cattle industry and is specific to a single Cracker Cowboy that Fredric Remington made famous when he used him for the model for his iconic "Crack Cowboy" painting.....a great read and my favorite of the four listed....but you gotta like cows...

Tales of Old Florida Hardcover – Frank Oppel original articles and stories of Old Florida that covers more than just the Ranching Industry.....well worth the read....

Fiction...and both of these re cattle centered....

Florida's Frontier The Way Hit Wuz - Mary Ida Bass Barber Shearhardt .. a very interesting book about not just the Cattle in Florida but also about "frontier living" in Florida...

A land Remembered - Patrick Smith.. this one is my least favorite of the four though for the last several years it has been the "darling" of the Florida History people....pure fiction though it does have some good passages about Cracker Cattle and Marsh Tackeys and the beginning of the Citrus Industry and land boom in Florida.......

Like I said not specific to fishing or the panhandle but good solid Florida stuff.....

Steve
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Seems that those who look back now through a more PC eye use words of condemnation like "poaching". Most folks just don't know what it was like on the Gulf Coastal areas that were not tourist destinations. I grew up as a kid fishing with my father and friends all the way from Destin, Fl around to Cyrstal River, Fl. with more time spent around Demry Hill (mouth of the Suwannee River) to the Aucilla River area. Dad would quite often get a guide to take us fishing and/or hunting. Most of those guides were people whose families had been in the area for a couple of generations and many of them were of Indian descent. Feeding your family always involved catching and/or killing local fish and game, because there were few choices for employment. Most grew up before there were modern game laws and quite frankly thought those laws unfair and a way of the government to tax you when you were just trying to get by. The economy in these coastal towns was tough. Their taking, eating and selling fish and game out of season was not some glamorous thumb at the nose of government, it was a requirement for them to survive or leave the coast.

Back in the 60's and 70's, we would fish during the day for the guiding they were hired to do, but after that, they would take me hunting or netting that they did for food and extra money. I hunted gators with them, hunted hogs, hunted deer, netted redfish up in rocky creek areas and other fish. The fishing holes were never cleaned out, because they believed in leaving seed for the future.

On several occasions, the local game warden would give chase. That was not a good idea, because these guys knew these waters as well as the bathtubs in their mobile homes. Several times, game wardens were left hung on a stump or high and dry. Now this was a thrill for me, but it was a necessity for those guys, because they could not afford the fines. Of course, they kept local law enforcement happy by gifts of fish, meat and fishing trips. It was always the fed that they worried about.

In all those years, I did not see the fish stocks decline. The fish stocks started declining when the some cajun came up with blackened redfish and then some netters decided to target trout, something that had been a no no for years. I never had an issue with guys netting mullet, because they were not a part of the hook and line species, but when the number of bird dog boats exploded and they started netting everything, the time had come for change. I would occasionally go eat at Spring Creek and I still do, but yes, Lovel was outspoken and angry about the change. I understand where he was coming from. For generations, that was the way his family made its living and kept food on the table and now the government was just snatching that away because some snotty tree huggers didn't like the practice. He and others felt they had as much right to continue to net as others had to fish hook and line.

We used to be a country of self sufficient men who know how to live off of the land. Now we've become a country that is in large part more concerned with its leizure time and suspicious of men who are fiercely independent and anti-big government.

I think we have all seen how once started, the government's hand in fish regulation had gone wrong.

So let us not get too caught up in condemnation. It was a different time. These stories are from when American began to transition away from the Land of the Brave and the Home of the Free.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:Seems that those who look back now through a more PC eye use words of condemnation like "poaching". Most folks just don't know what it was like on the Gulf Coastal areas that were not tourist destinations. I grew up as a kid fishing with my father and friends all the way from Destin, Fl around to Cyrstal River, Fl. with more time spent around Demry Hill (mouth of the Suwannee River) to the Aucilla River area. Dad would quite often get a guide to take us fishing and/or hunting. Most of those guides were people whose families had been in the area for a couple of generations and many of them were of Indian descent. Feeding your family always involved catching and/or killing local fish and game, because there were few choices for employment. Most grew up before there were modern game laws and quite frankly thought those laws unfair and a way of the government to tax you when you were just trying to get by. The economy in these coastal towns was tough. Their taking, eating and selling fish and game out of season was not some glamorous thumb at the nose of government, it was a requirement for them to survive or leave the coast.

Back in the 60's and 70's, we would fish during the day for the guiding they were hired to do, but after that, they would take me hunting or netting that they did for food and extra money. I hunted gators with them, hunted hogs, hunted deer, netted redfish up in rocky creek areas and other fish. The fishing holes were never cleaned out, because they believed in leaving seed for the future.

On several occasions, the local game warden would give chase. That was not a good idea, because these guys knew these waters as well as the bathtubs in their mobile homes. Several times, game wardens were left hung on a stump or high and dry. Now this was a thrill for me, but it was a necessity for those guys, because they could not afford the fines. Of course, they kept local law enforcement happy by gifts of fish, meat and fishing trips. It was always the fed that they worried about.

In all those years, I did not see the fish stocks decline. The fish stocks started declining when the some cajun came up with blackened redfish and then some netters decided to target trout, something that had been a no no for years. I never had an issue with guys netting mullet, because they were not a part of the hook and line species, but when the number of bird dog boats exploded and they started netting everything, the time had come for change. I would occasionally go eat at Spring Creek and I still do, but yes, Lovel was outspoken and angry about the change. I understand where he was coming from. For generations, that was the way his family made its living and kept food on the table and now the government was just snatching that away because some snotty tree huggers didn't like the practice. He and others felt they had as much right to continue to net as others had to fish hook and line.

We used to be a country of self sufficient men who know how to live off of the land. Now we've become a country that is in large part more concerned with its leizure time and suspicious of men who are fiercely independent and anti-big government.

I think we have all seen how once started, the government's hand in fish regulation had gone wrong.

So let us not get too caught up in condemnation. It was a different time. These stories are from when American began to transition away from the Land of the Brave and the Home of the Free.

Taking game on private land that doesn't belong to is poaching plain and simple( which happened near lake Jackson not at the coast). And I think the author used the word poaching in the story, acknowledging what he did was wrong , but did it anyway. Killing a small buck w # 6 shot is poor judgement at the least. Trying to kill a deer by running over it in a mullet boat is just cruel. The guy is not an outdoorsman , more of a taker of meat and life for personal reasons. In reading that book I never got the impression they were going to go hungry if game wasn't taken, maybe nothing to put on the "specials" menu at the restaurant
And to say that was how thing we're done at that time is a poor way to justify unethical behavior. The Old Man and the Boy was written before or around the same time and they condemn poaching, taking too much game and a whole bunch of outdoor issues. IT is a great read for anyone that spends time outdoors

And x2 on land remembered, really good book
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Reading about salty old Florida guys is fun. From my boyhood side of the state there was "Totch", which is another interesting book to read. I admire the self sufficiency of those guys and my own family was in the fishing business, too, they just didn't frequently break the law doing it, or at least didn't brag about it. There were many characteristics to admire about early times, but not every thing. We grew up in the 1940's and 50's a hundred feet from northern Biscayne Bay and mangrove swamps, now most of that is gone; the forests and the fish. We are stuck with what we have left, and managing it isn't easy. All of this could have been avoided by keeping tourists, retirees, and other new residents out of Florida for the last 75 years but that didn't happen, and more people are coming every day. Should we stop them? Should we close fishing to "outsiders"? I might like that, but it isn't feasible, or fair, I suppose.

I personally wish for a time when there would not be 20 million people in Florida, gobbling up resources, flattening swamps and forests, and polluting waters, taking fish and wildlife that I might like to have for myself. Regulating fish and wildlife as the population grows and the resource is diminished is a hard job. Mostly, I think the state does fish management fairly well in coastal areas, but offshore it is a different story with the feds. A lot of that is the law itself, but that's another argument.

In any case, Lovel is a poacher, and is proud of it. Fun to read, but its just another form of keeping the game going by glorifying some things that shouldn't be forgotten, but also shouldn't be admired. More importantly, that can't be done today, because those clouds of ducks, or swarms of wading birds, or endless schools of fish are not available.

EJ
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Another vote for Tales of Old Florida edited by Frank Oppel and Tony Meisel, plus The Other Florida by Gloria Jahoda.
Both excellent books.

Full Box by Winston Chester is a very good read , but is mainly a photographic history of the development of the fishing , both recreational and commercial in the area.

Images of America Mexico Beach by Al Cathey and Cathey Parker Hobbs is another photographic history , this time of Mexico Beach.
My copy is signed by both authors, who still operate businesses in Mexico Beach.
The book is also available at the Mexico Beach tourist office.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Salty Gator wrote:Taking game on private land that doesn't belong to is poaching plain and simple( which happened near lake Jackson not at the coast). And I think the author used the word poaching in the story, acknowledging what he did was wrong , but did it anyway. Killing a small buck w # 6 shot is poor judgement at the least. Trying to kill a deer by running over it in a mullet boat is just cruel. The guy is not an outdoorsman , more of a taker of meat and life for personal reasons. In reading that book I never got the impression they were going to go hungry if game wasn't taken, maybe nothing to put on the "specials" menu at the restaurant
And to say that was how thing we're done at that time is a poor way to justify unethical behavior. The Old Man and the Boy was written before or around the same time and they condemn poaching, taking too much game and a whole bunch of outdoor issues. IT is a great read for anyone that spends time outdoors

Guess you don't like Robin Hood either. :smt005

Like I said, I don't know Lovell much personally, but a lot of those guys glamorized what they did because they were ashamed that they had to kill to eat. The ones I hunted with only hunted the river swamps. If the swamp areas were privately owned, you sure couldn't tell it.

As I said, "ethical" sportsmanship in America is an evolving concept. The first people to conquer this land we call America didn't have or adhere to any game laws other than a hungry belly. Indians on reservations still adhere to this concept. We have too many people not to have restraints now. That was not so true in the 60's and early 70's in the big bend area. They don't have to do this today to keep a family fed. Instead, they can just go get foodstamps and eat lobster now.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Taking game on private land that doesn't belong to is poaching plain and simple( which happened near lake Jackson not at the coast). And I think the author used the word poaching in the story, acknowledging what he did was wrong , but did it anyway. Killing a small buck w # 6 shot is poor judgement at the least. Trying to kill a deer by running over it in a mullet boat is just cruel. The guy is not an outdoorsman , more of a taker of meat and life for personal reasons. In reading that book I never got the impression they were going to go hungry if game wasn't taken, maybe nothing to put on the "specials" menu at the restaurant

Guess you don't like Robin Hood either. :smt005

Like I said, I don't know Lovell much personally, but a lot of those guys glamorized what they did because they were ashamed that they had to kill to eat. The ones I hunted with only hunted the river swamps. If the swamp areas were privately owned, you sure couldn't tell it.

As I said, "ethical" sportsmanship in America is an evolving concept. The first people to conquer this land we call America didn't have or adhere to any game laws other than a hungry belly. Indians on reservations still adhere to this concept. We have too many people not to have restraints now. That was not so true in the 60's and early 70's in the big bend area. They don't have to do this today to keep a family fed. Instead, they can just go get foodstamps and eat lobster now.
A hungry belly isn't the only thing driving them. What about the $ ? That is why we have no buffalo, huge decline in ducks etc. There would probably not be a whitetail left if people were allowed to commercially harvest them like they do snapper. Maybe back then if they would have shown restraint there would still be some of those wild species that seem to be a thing of the past. I love hearing stories about all of the game and fish back it the good old days. And how guys would kill 100s of pintails and fill the boat w grouper. Wonder why that is not the case anymore. Oh wait maybe it's obamas fault.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Here Here Mr. MudDucker!

Amen and Amen!

Where are any interesting stories by the naysayers of those who existed to follow the laws of the day and put them above the survival of their families and friends. Show me a family without a good shine maker who never took anything to eat regardless of laws and in evidence will be a very dull bunch of folks. History also supports that these "unlawful" folks were also the first and most to pick up weapons and defend this country when necessary....and yes they won! Also consider that what has come to be known as Special Ops in many cases began with skills contributed by those of lawfully questionable backgrounds and skills.

And yes, the term "redneck" affectionally whirs in my old and tired brain. :o
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Found small pamphlet at Marine Specimen Aquarium entitled Historic Seine Fisheries of Wakulla County by Davis Roddenberry. Tells how it was done in the old days.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Steve Sutton

Post by Steve Sutton »

Seems to me its a HUGE stretch to imply that in the old days that people poached "only" to feed their families and that if they hadn't there families would have starved. And an even greater leap to assume that Mr. Lovel did it for that reason........I'm sure there were situations where that was true but I seriously doubt that it was the case in "most" poaching scenarios.....personal example for me is the fact that I started hunting in the 60's and hunted in areas where there were some HARD CORE POACHERS, (and this continued all the way all the way through the 80's), that were not only very well off but were "very wealthy", (not to mention huge in DU)....they poached for no other reason than they wanted to...or because theyt needed to to justify to themselves their time spent hunting....or because they enjoyed flaunting, and beating, the law....so while I'm sure that there were "some" that needed to inferring that everyone that did, or still does, did it to "feed their starving families" is a stretch indeed....

The Robin Hood reference is a good one...fiction having nothing to do with real life not to mention the fact that in every Robin Hood depiction I've ever seen good old Robin and his Merry Men dressed better, ate better, had better weapons and horses and houses, and bedded better looking women, (the ones with all their teeth), plus had all the fun in slaughtering the Kings Deer and the Kings flunkies while the "churls" they were purportedly stealing for lived in hovels, dressed in rags, tended their fields with sticks, had two teeth, couldn't afford an arrow, much less a bow to hunt with PLUS took all the punishment in the form of taxes and punishment on Robin's behalf...so NOPE I'm not real big on good old Robin or his green tights and pheasant plumed hat and all he supposedly did for the poor he was supposedly "poaching" for).....

In the end, at least for me, its not about whether he poached in the past, (for whatever reason), its the fact that there is clearly a need on his part to not only justify something we would have never known happened if he hadn't written about it, but that he feels the need to "justify" and "glorify" it.....haven't read the books yet but I bet that if those references had been left out that the books wouldn't have suffered one bit....sometimes the past should remain in the past and sometimes it should even be forgotten....

Steve
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I don't seem to recall in very much of either books where poaching was a main topic of the stories being told. One thing that I think deserves consideration is the way that the entire mind set towards natural resources has changed over the last 100 years. The thought that millions of birds were killed simply for their plumes seems bizarre and barbaric to most of us today. At the same time there is a increasing amount of present day people who look upon lawful hunting and fishing as bizarre and barbaric practices.
Who knows, perhaps there will come a day when the picture of a hunter with a lawfully taken bag of birds, or a fisherman with his lawfully taken catch, will be seen as examples of a regrettable past that folks munching on government supplied "Total Nutrition Crackers" will look down upon.
There is a link between a past where there were a few loosely enforced wild game laws , to both the old days where there were literally no game laws to enforce, and to now when there are so many laws that even the most law abiding outdoorsman has a hard time keeping track of them. Each step in that progression has had it's share of folks that didn't welcome the changes, and always there were some who felt the need to fight back against them. It's human nature more than anything, and it's a part of the process that for the sake of freedom belongs in the process. I don't agree with poaching on any level, but at the same time I'm not ashamed to admit that I feel nostalgic thinking about what it must have been like to live in a time when there weren't so many rules and laws. I'm talking about rules and laws for everything, not just about game.
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Thank you Cranfield, EddieJoe, Steve Sutton and reelhandy ! I will definitely check those books out! I currently have Totch on my dresser waiting to be read! A new book was released named 'Remembering Florida's Forgotten Coast' by Kent Thompson. An awesome book and author that you should check out if you can find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I don't intend to write "Cranfield's Chronicles", but from the age of about 10 to 16 years, I poached and sold game and rabbits, I also stole apples and sold them, dug up (someone else's) horseradish and made sauce, which I sold together with the onions I stole and pickled.
Caught eels from private waters and sold them alive (the only way to buy an eel you want to eat) and indulged in may other country orientated financial enterprises.
Nobody suffered in any real terms from my endeavours and some benefited, notably me.
The money was spent on cartridges, clothes and other useful items.
I should add that at no time did I wear green (or any other coloured) tights.

The things I did were almost expected of a young lad growing up in the middle of nowhere, back in the '50s.
Nowadays I would probably have a Probation Officer and be walking around with a tag on my ankle.

Times change.....just saying. :wink:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

RHTFISH wrote:Here Here Mr. MudDucker!

Amen and Amen!

Where are any interesting stories by the naysayers of those who existed to follow the laws of the day and put them above the survival of their families and friends. Show me a family without a good shine maker who never took anything to eat regardless of laws and in evidence will be a very dull bunch of folks. History also supports that these "unlawful" folks were also the first and most to pick up weapons and defend this country when necessary....and yes they won! Also consider that what has come to be known as Special Ops in many cases began with skills contributed by those of lawfully questionable backgrounds and skills.

And yes, the term "redneck" affectionally whirs in my old and tired brain. :o
I guess us old farts had to live it to understand it. The times they are a changing! :-D
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

CoastalPirate wrote:Thank you Cranfield, EddieJoe, Steve Sutton and reelhandy ! I will definitely check those books out! I currently have Totch on my dresser waiting to be read! A new book was released named 'Remembering Florida's Forgotten Coast' by Kent Thompson. An awesome book and author that you should check out if you can find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have to check out that book by Kent. He and I used to work together back in the day when he was in the Marine Patrol.
EJ