Sooooo can you find the snake?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Sooooo can you find the snake?

Post by Danibeth »

So the first weekend of turkey season came and went for me without a gobble. Thick heavy fog I'm sure helped to contribute to that problem. I walked new places, saw some neat critters, almost squished a snake who was minding his own business, and cursed the turkeys for being so tight lipped. Anywho, some pictures from the weekend

Minding his own business....trying not to get squished

An oak toad...these are little fellas...but man do they have a BIG voice

A wild azalea......I need me a bunch of these at my house

they are quite gorgeous flowers

I was not alone out there this weekend

Some really neat plants....trumpet leaf pitcher plants

And LOTS and LOTS of butterflies this weekend...and tons of tiger swallow tails

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the turkeys don't remain so tight lipped this season.

Dani
Steve Sutton

Re: Sooooo can you find the snake?

Post by Steve Sutton »

Purdy stuff Dani.....

First the Trout Lilly's and now these...I'm gonna need a lesson on closeup photography this summer....
We need to get us some OAK TOAD camo for Turkey Season...we'd disappear...

Great pictures Dani.....especially the close up of the Azalea....I've seen the non-Photobucket version and that one of the VERY BEST pictures of that flower I've ever seen....colors and details on that flower are very subtle and you got them both......EXCELLENT JOB.....

Steve
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The pics of the tracks? Are they Bobcat and cubs?
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks Steve. It was a challenge to get the azaleas and I wasnt sure what I had til I got home.

The tracks are bear tracks. At least the big ones. The little ones may very well be bobcat kittens or a small bobcat. Not really sure on them. Next time I have some neat tracks I'll put a shotgun shell down of scale. Those bear tracks were as big as my hand stretched out.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Maybe it is my monitor settings (or eyes) but I'm seeing a lot of yellow tint on the viper... some type of filter, weird lighting or some PS enhancement maybe? A good reason to always check where you are going to setup and call and also a reminder to wear the snake boots...

I remember doing a little scouting in a dry cypress pond with my dad, went to lean up against a small tree and it had a hollow... with a nice cottonmouth curled up inside about where I would have leaned up against it... :o

I hate snakes.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

zload- i didn't do anything with that picture other than crop it. He was a very yellow snake and blended in well amongst the palmettos and perhaps he'd just freshly shed so his colors were more vibrant. Even if he didn't, he's a beauty.

This is probably the second time I've almost stepped on a poisonous snake in my life but even so, I do like to check my blinds I make in the mornings well before sitting down. I can't fault a snake for biting something that sits down on it when that snake is minding its own business.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Well at least my eyes are OK then (at least related to the yellow part anyway) :-) He was vibrant for sure!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I didn't realize those pitcher plants were native. Great pics!
850-273-8818
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Nice pics!
except the snake
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Yup those pitcher plants are native, as are several other species in this area. They're really neat plants.

Thanks again y'all
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Great pictures!
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Some very nice pictures, you are very talented with that camera. :thumbup:
What we do need is one with a turkey and a good report. :-)
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WENT OVER BY THE POND TO DO SOME SPECK FISHING EARLIER THIS MORNING, ALMOST STEPPED ON A CAIN BREAK RATTLER, GLAD IT WAS COLD, HIS STRIKE FELL SHORT BY ABOUT 2 FT., I NAILED HIM ON THE FIRST SHOT, RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES. THAT WAS A BIG RATTLER, HE WAS 6FT 4 IN. LONG, HAD 9 RATTLERS. THREW HIM IN THE POND AND IN A MATTER OF A FEW MINUTES THE TURTLES WERE WORKING HIM OVER. IT WAS TOO COLD TO DO ANY FISHING, HEADED BACK TO THE HOUSE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Sarracenia flavia is cool there was probably Sarracenia minor in that area too, Mr. Bufo or Anaxyrus quercicus is a cool toad too! Great Pictures Thanks!!!