Fishing in the Sargassum

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grubs-n-plugs

Fishing in the Sargassum

Post by grubs-n-plugs »

I'm a newby to this website, but I've been fishing Econfina/Aucilla/Rock Island about 15-16 years. I've looked through a lot of the posts going all the way back to 2001 and have'nt seen anything about fishing in the Sargassum (technically: It aint grass). I did not have a lot of time to spend in the search, so I may have missed some.

Anyway, over the years I've had some very productive fishing in-and-around that stuff, especially at low tide when it's laying over on its side. Perhaps it's the closest thing to stucture out there in the flats and it seems that some of the larger fish like it. I've caught some really nice reds on top-water when you put it into one of the holes in the "grass".

I would like know what kind of fishing (grubs, live bait, etc.) some of you may have experienced in the Sargassum and the techniques you've used. This presumes, of course, that I'm not the only one that fishes in that mess.
Happy Trails & Good Fishing
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Sargassum, locally called Rock grass or christmas tree grass.....

There are some creeks around Aucilla and Econfina that have Sargassum in them.....

We used to have a right handed disease coming out of Econfina, that required us to fish the Sargassum beds between Econfina and Aucilla. Man I could tell you some tales.....

As far as tackle, same as the rest of the areas....Grubs straight or under Cajun Thunder, topwater, jerk baits (soft and hard)....

I haven't fished them much in the past couple of years due to the water clarity and grass die off.....I fished in a few beds the other day, but didn't do anything......Good memories out there... :thumbup:
grubs-n-plugs

Post by grubs-n-plugs »

Aw, Come-on. Just one little tale.
Happy Trails & Good Fishing
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

grubs-n-plugs wrote:Aw, Come-on. Just one little tale.
Wevans don't do it... :wink: :lol:

Just alot of good fishing with my dad over the years out there......

Topwater Mirrolures were king out there when I was 10-14 years old...Throw it as far as you could and close to the grass lines and start working it....I love watching the tide go out and the grass start laying over......I saw my first tailing redfish in a Sargassum creek a few years back.....
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Ya'll better quite talkin bout tails/tales or I'll HAVE ta post a pic 8) :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

clearly this post is worthless without a pic of said "tail" ! :D
8)
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Supposedly the rock grass is good fishing. The CT in the hole approach sounds like bass fishing. I haven't tried it but I will soon. I'm sure it would be a great kayak strategy.
BTW, Rock grass is a Sargassum species, seriously :wink: . It's an attached version similar to the floating kind that's pelagic. I'd rather use a less fancy word than pelagic but that's the one that say's it.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Sure is fun to fish topwater around that stuff! We used to fish it all
day between Econfina and Aucilla. I'm glad to see it returning although
it doesn't seem to hold fish like days of old. :smt017

Maybe its just my memory. I've heard it said that's the second thing to go...... :(
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.