turkey point 4/25

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Currentsituation

turkey point 4/25

Post by Currentsituation »

I have been trying to get out on the water for the last few weeks with little cooperation from the weather. I decided I was going to head down Friday after work without the boat ( just incase the weather didn't want to cooperate) and piddle around on the dock and try to stir up a bite.

After a quick stop at Crum's for some rod tip repairs and much needed gulps, I eased up to the house re-rigged my poles and headed down to the dock.

At first I noticed everyone hasd a light green bait tied on but I wasn't getting any bites with that route, I couldn't really move on the dock so I decided to changed color to the new penny and immediately caught a 10' trout. I kept pitching away in the same areas and caught a few more short trout and was thinking this was all I was going to be able to come up with. Shortly after this a 17" trout decided he was hungry after all and got with the program. I didn't have a Ice chest or proper fish storage equipment with me because I didn't really think I would catch anything. I noticed a piece of dock rope and figured what the heck and made a stinger with it for the time being.

The after a few more short trout the bit started to slow and it was getting late. I figured I would try to mix it up one more time and swapped to a gold spoon and caught myself saying that famous line " one more cast"

So I threw it out as far as I could let it sink to the bottom and as I started to reel in the drag started singing and the line started heading the other direction. It kind of felt like a Spanish at first with the initial run but it was shorter and more of them, it wasn't shaking its head like the typical trout, could it be my first red fish. It surely was and a keeper 22" at that, man what a fight!

The battle was just heating up as I had no net or help on the dock at the time of the incident. While maneuvering the fish around the pylons ever so gently not to loose him at the dock, I got him into position for extraction. I layed him up on the dock and the hook came right out, at this point the fish was flopping all over the place and on the verge of re entering the water. With one hand un tieing the stringer from the dock and one on the fish I finally got it untied. The fish was still trying to escape and I barely got the stinger in place before he could flop away. It seemed to be taking a lifetime but was only just a few seconds long.

My adrenaline was still pumping like a 10 point buck just stepped out form behind the tree line! Man what a great feeling!

I grabbed my stringer up with my two prize fish and walked the short walk down the road holding my fish high for all passer buyers to see. I'm sure they were thinking look at this idiot walking down the road, But I was thinking they were envying my prize fishes or at least my prized stringer!
FishWithChris

Re: turkey point 4/25

Post by FishWithChris »

heck yeah! Gotta love a good report like this - way to get on them and not give up. One of my favorite bites in the world is a redfish on a spoon. nice work!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Surprised yourself didn't you! A good story and well worth the read.

Thanks
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Currentsituation

Post by Currentsituation »

It was quite a surprise and it made the trip down well worth it! I have caught my fair share of trophy bass but that 22" red made a 10LB bass feel weak! I will defiantly be seeking our MR. red fish in the future! :D

If anyone would like to share any recommendations for catching reds near DI/TP, I'm all ears! HEHE :lol:
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Cool report. Congrats on the red. That's a good fighting size as well as a good eating size.