Need a gill net or seine net....

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Need a gill net or seine net....

Post by Steve Stinson »

Nope - not going illegal.... I have a lot of weeds along the bank of my pond and need to haul them out. Would like to find about a 50' seine net or a piece of an old gill net that I can walk around them, then pull up to the shoreline. Please let me know if you have anything that may work.

Thanks
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Need a gill net or seine net....

Post by ugadawg »

My dad tried that with duckweed and it was an epic fail. All the plant matter was too much weight and destroyed the net. Spraying it with Diquat may be easier and save you some time.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Chain link, tied to a tractor :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

wevans wrote:Chain link, tied to a tractor :smt004 :beer:
Yeap. we have a "rake". Only seen it once or twice. Neighbor is supossed to be bringing it down pretty soon so we can use it. I'll give you a ring when it is in town and see if we can keep it for a week or so.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

If the pond is not very big, you might can hand-rake the weeds from the edge. We used a garden rake head on a pole used for pool skimming. That same year we put 2 grass carp in the pond and I've had no more problems with weeds. :) Good luck with it.
Yours in the South
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

I used an ordinary garden rake to get hydrilla out of my lake. I added some lead to the back of it so when I waded out chin-deep and didn't have the leverage to force the tines into the sandy bottom the weight did the trick. Just kind of jiggled the rake until it settled into the roots, then pulled the whole mess in. Worked like a champ. HINT: wear snug fitting Titey Whities to keep the critters you stir up out of your junk. Some of them bite!!! :lol:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I already have a large rake I purchased from Tractor Supply attached to a rope. I've cleared out all I can reach from my dock with that set up. I have a lot of floating weeds that I need to get with something else. These weeds are not as dense as hydrilla and break apart when the rake hits them. A net or some fencing may work, but I have not tried that yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions.