Keeping boat at Panacea vs St marks?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Keeping boat at Panacea vs St marks?

Post by procraftwes »

I currently keep my boat at shields and am very happy with the marina itself and the people there are amazing(just want to be clear that this is in no way complaining about shields).

I've recently been thinking about dry storage and shields vs Rock landing. I like the idea of a shorter run in panacea to deeper water, sand bars, Aligator point area,etc.

I like that I can run up the rivers out of shields but rarely do. The wife enjoys going to islands/sandbars and it seems like there's more of that out west and I hate trailering the boat.

I give up some amenities with the ship store but get IMO a much better restaurant which appeals to the wife @ rock landing(love that place).

Hows the fishing compared between the two(mostly flats)? I have a deep V Dual console which drafts about 2' which isn't a big problem in St Marks.

For those of you guys who commute to rock landing whats the difference in drive time?
bman

Re: Keeping boat at Panacea vs St marks?

Post by bman »

Not much difference in Drive- an you pass Hamaknockers BBQ on the way home ;-)

I like fishing both areas. Panacea stays darker because of the Ochlockonee river.
My wife likes the clearer water out of St Marks. When its calm its an easy ride over to the bird rack but still about 10 miles.

The tip of Alligator point is closer to 18 after you run around the bars at the mouth of the river.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I've kept boats at both marinas and currently keep mine at Panacea. It's about a 15 minute longer drive from Tallahassee but i feel like you save the time in the shorter runs on the water. I seem to recall its about 8 miles from Shields to the lighthouse, with some of that a no wake zone. That adds about 20 minutes to your run each way.

When I left Shields, the prices were better at Panacea but I don't know how they compare today.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Vitz wrote:I've kept boats at both marinas and currently keep mine at Panacea.
You keep your duck boat at a marina?
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

Keep up with current events. I'm now a two boat owner! Twice the fun, triple the expense.