Cape San Blas Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

niezgoda

Cape San Blas Fishing

Post by niezgoda »

I'm new to the area but have been out in St. Joe Bay multiple times and only reeled in some sharks. Any tips for catching something other than shark?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Cape San Blas Fishing

Post by SHOWBOAT »

lay off the live bait. Get a topwater, popping cork / grub or jerk bait. Finding patchy grass and you'll find game fish.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Usually lots of grass and sand potholes around Black's Island so good area for trout. Scallopers will be taking that area over pretty soon. I would second the comment on artificials, when the water is clear you can sight fish the potholes pretty well, a bone skitterwalk has worked well for me even in mid-day sun and the usual jig/imitation shrimp.

The Eagle Harbor area also has some nice grass patches but can't say I've caught much over there.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

My brother just killed the trout about a week ago or so on plastic grubs.
niezgoda

Post by niezgoda »

Thanks guys for the info. Went out there today with some cut baits and artificial baits around blacks island. Caught a decent trout but not a keeper and about a 3 ft shark. Probably did more running from the rain than fishing.