St. George's, Carrabelle, on a kayak.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Can'tCatchAnything

St. George's, Carrabelle, on a kayak.

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Hey everybody, I'm a new Member and this would be my first report; I'm actually pretty new to fishing. My fishing is limited to wherever I'm willing to paddle for the day. I watch the moon and I watch the tides, although I'm starting to rely more on luck than anything else.

This is my vessel:

The report:

St. George's Sound:
On a Saturday afternoon I dropped in at the public boat ramp at the St. George's Island side of the bridge. I paddled maybe 30 minutes out into the sound, and threw a poppin' cork with live shrimp. Nothing. Out of curiosity, I threw a bottom-rigged shrimp which yielded a few catfish and a stingray. I quit the bottom rigging after the stringray. The sky was looking crazy so I made my way back.

Carrabelle:
It was a Sunday and the kayak was still on the car, so why not? I wasn't trying to drive all the way out the St. George's Island again, so I dropped in at Timber Island and paddled out to the gulf. Poppin' cork on live shrimp and poppin' cork on 4" Gulp! shrimp, yielding catfish and ladyfish; I just left a poppin' cork rig out because it was fun. I moved to bottom rig and promptly got me a stingray, and I promptly quit the bottom rig. The sun was setting, and with nothing necessarily desirable hitting the poppin' cork and nothing pleasant coming from a bottom rig, so I tied on my lucky bone-coloured Spook Jr. I threw it everywhere, I walked that dog back with abandon, in every direction, and I got me this:

Measured roughly 20", a bit unexpected, and definitely a pleasant surprise; third time's the charm right? I stayed with the topwater for awhile until the bugs got nuts and managed a baby gar? (it was green and had nasty teeth), and an under-slot red.

Weekend total: $40 gasoline, $6 bait, and 1 redfish. Sounds good to me.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Re: St. George's, Carrabelle, on a kayak.

Post by luceror »

Good report I too fish out of a yak.mostly panacea. Bald pt.
Fishing been tough this spring/summer.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Attaboy!, CCA.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Way to go, welcome aboard, and nice fish!

I throw a topwater 90% of the time I'm out in my yak.
JPVERN

Post by JPVERN »

Man I can't wait to have this under my belt.
I'll be kayaking SGI next week.
salute1
Whether it be with weapon or with wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE