Sailcats & Bonnetheads

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Sailcats & Bonnetheads

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

If I can boat at least one bonnethead and a couple big sailcats I'll call that a good day. A good day being one where I actually bring back a decent amount of meat for the fry pot or grill. Sure trout is good but EVEN IF you limit out you're not talking about a whole lot of meat. I ate some sailcat & bonnethead last year and it was GOOD, well good to me anyway. Redfish you say? NEVER CAUGHT ONE. Oh yes I've tried. And DO NOT even get me started on scallops. So far this year it was the Weird Pufferfish of March, finally a couple of trout, a ray or two, and a big remora. FOOD, I need FOOD man! I am starting to look at my Gulps and salivate.

If you were to tell someone who knew next to nothing about fishing off St. Marks how to catch sailcats & bonnethead sharks, what would you tell them? Best tide, time of day, bait, water depth, technique? I figure if I follow the sage collective wisdom of fellow members here for these erstwhile "trash fish," then my problem is far worse than I think.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Re: Sailcats & Bonnetheads

Post by luceror »

More power to ya!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Don't even worry about tides, those fish will bite on a slack tide. Put some smelly shrimp or cutbait out there and just wait for 'em. ;-) Good luck.
Yours in the South
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

For those fish and a good chance at maybe some Spanish mackerel, blue fish and even trout and redfish, I would anchor out in about 5-7 feet and start a good chum. Try the last 2 hours of the incoming and first 2 hours of the outgoing tide.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

For sailcats and shark I usually go to Mashes Sands and throw shrimp on a popping cork. The float keeps the shrimp away from hardhead cats, and 7/10 times I catch more sailcats than anything. I've hooked onto plenty of sharks with a finger mullet or pinfish under a cork too. But once you start targeting catfish you may come upon some trout and reds, it's funny like that.
bman

Post by bman »

4/0 circle hook, 10 inches of wire leader. Use chunk bait, mullet or pinfish, under an old style popping cork.
Drift it across the flats and you will have fun.

You can catch all the pinfish you want on a bream hook and a tiny piece of gulp.
Try a small live one under the cork and you may catch a big trout.

The bigger circle hook is easier to get out of the big sharks and cats.
Blacktip on the grill is :lick:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I believe the main forage for bonnet heads are blue crabs. May be a good place to start. I've only caught them on gulps
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

For a little added fun, target ladyfish and cut little fillet strips of them. Float them under a Cajun Thunder and you can catch about anything that swims around St Marks. Then, try catching pinfish with pieces of gulp while you are floating the ladyfish strips. If you are targeting sharks, a trailer hook will improve your catch of the smaller ones (hook the circle hook through the back and the trailer through the tail). I cleaned a sharpnose last year and the taste did not suit me and I like shark meat. Ochlocknee River bridge has produced more sailcats than I knew what to do with, all on gulps jigs and we caught a few trout too. We caught sailcats 3-1, but were catching trout too, so we kept fishing.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?