Bass & Cobes

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Bass & Cobes

Post by big bend gyrene »

Throwing this report in the inshore section by averaging out the locations we fished. Joking aside didn't have to go out far to catch the cobes and did scallop right after fishing midshore depths. :-)

Had one of my college frat bros come down from Atlanta along with his son who starts college this fall. In the past they've hopped over to fish while vacationing on St. George Island but this go round came straight down just to fish a few days. With the solunar forecast waning a bit and with them having no other vacation plans to help make memories, I was feeling the pressure to put them on a few good fish.

They arrived mid-afternoon on Thursday the 16th and with it too late to make a run to the coast I took them bass fishing. They said they had never topwater fished for bass in lily pads and that their largest catches had been around 3 pounds, so I told them I thought I might be able to show them a very different style of fishing than they were used to doing. Bite wasn't on fire but we finished the afternoon with half a dozen explosive blow-ups, landing 4 of them with 3 of the 4 exceeding their past biggest bass.
Bass.jpg
Master Painter gifted us with a gorgeous sunset as we called it a day.
Sunset.jpg
Next morning we went out of St. Marks to do a bit of fishing and scalloping. Loaded up with bait in the flats around the lighthouse then ran south to check a few different spots. As we boated out we ran into multiple feeding frenzies. Caught lots of jacks as well as a few bluefish. Didn't land any mackerel but suffered a few cut-offs and got to see one lone king mack slice across the top of one of the bait schools.
Feeding Frenzy.jpg
Outside of the feeding frenzies we didn't have incredible action at our spots, but did manage to tag one short cobe pretty quickly and then right before running to the scallop grounds landed a single keeper.
Tagged Cobe.jpg
Fish On.jpg
Keeper Cobe.jpg
With cobia for dinner the guys said they wanted to dive in and find a few scallops but not keep any. Didn't take long for them to find a few handfuls each, with all returned to be captured another day.
Scalloping.jpg
Scallop.jpg
Finish the report by sharing that I got a text from my buddy last night that made me hungry the second I saw it. :lick: :beer:
Dinner.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Bass & Cobes

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Great trip! Caught something big both days, that always helps.
Yours in the South
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice report. You had a good couple of days. Although I've never heard of catch and release scalloping lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
big bend gyrene

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Nice report. You had a good couple of days. Although I've never heard of catch and release scalloping lol.
Witnessing the "catch and release" scalloping was definitely a first for me, Hit-n-Miss! :-D Just waited a bit too long into the trip to start and after too little sleep and fishing in the sweltering heat we weren't too eager to face cleaning them versus simply filleting out the cobia. That said, they tried scalloping with me a year ago out of Econfina where we didn't find a single one despite looking for a long time, so they wanted to see what it was like when numbers were better while also getting the chance to start cooling off from the fishing.

Still, was a funny sight to see scallops raised to the top only to be dropped right back down! :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Enjoyed yr report.nice pics!
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

good to see yall got out
thanks for the report
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Way to puddumonnem BBG!
Glad you had a good one.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Great report, BBG! I miss the cobia and bass fishing up there and fishing with you. Jacks and blues are fun too. Great job!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

good way to spend a day :)
850-273-8818
big bend gyrene

God knows I wanted to show you the same kind of experience, Lonesouth, when last we went out... got half of the equation right. Soon as I can afford another potentially costly trip out with you, promise I'll let you know! ;-)