Whats happening at St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

Whats happening at St. Marks

Post by randymullaly »

Morning everyone,

Ive been off the water for the last few weeks getting ready to move (made that move this past weekend) and get my daughter ready for her move to UVA. Hopefully in the next week, Ill be back to my normal routine and can get back on the water. Haven't seen much on the forum lately about whats happening on the flats around the lighthouse. Anybody got an update or has everybody decided to wait for a little cooler weather? Grateful for any updates!
redcodefsu

Re: Whats happening at St. Marks

Post by redcodefsu »

I went out on Saturday and got into a couple schools of ladyfish and seagulls. Nothing else was biting.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Me and Jeff fished the nfgfc on Saturday. We fished from Pinhook all the way back to the lighthouse. Managed 4 small keeper trout and one 24 incher. Also caught a couple small redfish with one being a keeper. Oh yeah, we also caught 463 ladyfish. :-D
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MY SON AND I WENT OUT FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE LAST WED., WE ONLY CAUGHT 1 SMALL PINFISH, FISHED 4 HOURS AND NODA FOR OUR EFFORTS. THERE WERE BAITFISH ALL OVER THE FLATS BUT NO FISH BUSTING INTO THEM, NO BIRDS ATTACKING FROMTHE SKI. I JUST READ A ARTICLE ABUT LION FISH ATTACKING FISH IN THE GULF, I SURE HOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE AROUND THE BIG BEND AREA. I HAVE CAUGHT LIONFISH OVER IN THE PACIFIC BUT NEVER IN THE ATLANTIC OR GULF.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

It seems like it's hit and miss. Some days lots of trout, some none. My only advice is if you're not getting hookups within 5 or 10 minutes on jigs under poppers or top water plugs, move to another place/water depth and try again. Rinse, repeat.

If fishing is a bust no matter where you go, and especially if it's hot, put on the mask & fins you hopefully brought & see if you can get some scallops. And/or if you brought your cast net, head to shore to see if you can get some mullet for the freezer (or the table). As Clint Eastwood's character said in the war movie Heartbreak Ridge, "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome."

And as usual, watch out for the rocks, and don't get stuck by a catfish spine.