How many of you fish out of a Jon boat for inshore?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: How many of you fish out of a Jon boat for inshore?

Post by silverking »

I owned a customized jon years ago and it did a fine job when it was 1-2 INCH chop. Otherwise my back teeth rattled on the way back in on a sea breeze.

If I had that winning $310MM PowerBall ticket last night instead of the dog I had instead, I would have been ordering a Gamefisherman 43 Express this morning, along with a Beavertail Micro. And the Bayshore would be off the market too, without a doubt.

Get what you can afford, fish it hard and enjoy every minute. You can always upgrade down the line. Tell your wife it's for research. Always works for me. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Thanks for all the input so far. The votes are in for multiple boats and I can't ignore everyone's advice ;-)

I fished out of Bottoms Road yesterday and hit Oyster Bay in my Gheenoe. It was a very wet ride coming back (was thinking I should keep a dive mask on the boat for such days). Noticed a jon boat coming in and they were taking it nice and slow as I imagine those little swells yesterday would have pounded the boat.

In my quest for something bigger, I've been looking also at the Montauk 17 and some of the Carolina Skiff models. What keeps me coming back to the G3 jon boat I covet is the deck layout with the center console (and the a ability to easily add lights for flounder gigging). That G3 would be perfect for freshwater, but I fish more in the salt. Where is that do-it-all, affordable boat??
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You won't sink in a Montauk, but you won't have the smoothest of rides either.

Here's a unique option that may work well for you.

http://saltmarshskiffs.com/mod1656.html

Can add a grab bar/cooler seat, it's light for reduced power and has a Kevlar layup for durability.

Haven't seen one in person, but a friend's buddy bought one on the East Coast and he loves it. Uses it for fresh, salt and I believe he also duck hunts out of it.

Here's another one that I do know. A guide buddy in Orlando is selling it and he is as anal about his boats as I am. East Cape Gladesman

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/blast ... men.35090/
2u4lhec.jpg
rtgnxe.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

If I had the $$$, I would have one of these built.

http://www.landco.com/2013/08/09/custom ... -finished/
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
charlieman

Post by charlieman »

That lando co boat is sweet. Any idea the cost?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

All through college and for several years thereafter, I fished from a Fisher Marine 16' netter that I modified to be open with pedastal seats. I put a 20hp mercury with tiller steer on it. There is absolutely no telling how many fish I put in that boat. They beat you a little more due to their light weight, but they go more places and use less gas than most fiberglass boats.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

I don't have an aluminum boat but do have 16ft aluminum canoe for fresh water,actually my wife likes it for just paddling the lake.
Does anyone know of anyone with 5 or 6 boats ? And has a wife ?
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

The G3's and other similar, large jonboats are versatile, but they will beat you senseless in a chop. I would hold onto the Gheenoe Classic for the creeks, etc., and try to find a good deal on a used flats/bay boat. Some really nice late 90's-early 00's boats can be had for roughly the same price point as a new or used jonboat.
breeze

Post by breeze »

Brother, I started out fishing the Aucilla flats in a 14 foot Aluma craft with a six horse Johnson. Caught a lot of fish and had a lot of fun doing it. But I learned a lot about when and where I could fish. I also learned if a man wants to get out on the water and fish he will find a way ! :-D
'If you don't know where you're goin', you could end up anywhere.'
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

RCS wrote:The G3's and other similar, large jonboats are versatile, but they will beat you senseless in a chop. I would hold onto the Gheenoe Classic for the creeks, etc., and try to find a good deal on a used flats/bay boat. Some really nice late 90's-early 00's boats can be had for roughly the same price point as a new or used jonboat.
Amen. I bought a 2001 Ranger Cayman 184 in excellent shape back 4-5 years ago for 12,500. Had to kick a lot of tires and look at a lot of junk, but it only took about 6 months to find the deal I was looking for. I have upgraded a lot on it (including the motor this year), but it has been one of my better purchases. I was all over the internet, looked at every kind of flats/bay type boat. I also co-own a little 14' Crappie Jon for the creeks. Best of both worlds. Could sell either tomorrow and not lose (much) money.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
dnichol59

Post by dnichol59 »

Long time lurker, first time poster. Have learned a lot on this board and figured it was time to contribute.

I agree that it would be nice to have about 6 or 7 boats for all occasions, but us poor folks and/or those with wives not as understanding don't always have that option. As such, I have been using a G3 1860CC jon boat with 90HP Yamaha for about 10 years now. While it can rattle your teeth in a heavy chop (especially if not trimmed right), I find it to be a very versatile boat for this area. While I primarily fish inshore, if the weather is right I have been known to take it offshore (was inspired by the Sopchoppy Redneck :D ) but you need to be careful and know what you are doing. I also use the boat for gator hunting, flounder gigging, scalloping, etc. and it allows me to get pretty shallow when needed and I'm not as worried about the oyster bars and rocks as I would be with a fiberglass boat. I have contemplated getting a bigger fiberglass boat to extend my range on less than ideal weather conditions, but I have stuck with this boat because of versatility and the fact the offshore regs are becoming so restrictive the days are too limited for return on investment.

If you decide to get an aluminum jon boat, make sure the transom is all aluminum and doesn't have PT wood in it. I learned this the hard way with my first G3 and the transom corroded from the inside out, but G3 stood behind it and replaced the boat with a newer model (I believe they switched transoms after 2006) that now has an all aluminum transom.

Best of luck and hope to see you all on the water!!!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

any aluminum CC like the G3 will do almost everything. I went to a flats boat because I wanted to run faster in the chop. I also love the full deck.

I have now accquired a 14' flat bottom aluminum john (given to me free) to set up for rivers and creeks and low tide flats. Right now I think these two boats will do me . :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Thanks for your input. The 1860CC is exactly what I've been considering. While I have no desire to take one of these offshore, it would suit the kind of salt and freshwater fishing I do. While my Gheenoe does great in shallow water, the deck layout leaves much to be desired. I think the 1860 would go anywhere the Gheenoe could, especially with the transom float pods. The 1860 seems like a great boat for near inshore, rivers, creeks, freshwater lakes. It just seems like such a versatile boat.

Fishon Fabrications makes a removable light rail for jon boats which would be a nice set up for floundering. Scroll to the bottom of their page: http://www.fishonfabrications.com/custo ... ation.html
dnichol59 wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. Have learned a lot on this board and figured it was time to contribute.

I agree that it would be nice to have about 6 or 7 boats for all occasions, but us poor folks and/or those with wives not as understanding don't always have that option. As such, I have been using a G3 1860CC jon boat with 90HP Yamaha for about 10 years now. While it can rattle your teeth in a heavy chop (especially if not trimmed right), I find it to be a very versatile boat for this area. While I primarily fish inshore, if the weather is right I have been known to take it offshore (was inspired by the Sopchoppy Redneck :D ) but you need to be careful and know what you are doing. I also use the boat for gator hunting, flounder gigging, scalloping, etc. and it allows me to get pretty shallow when needed and I'm not as worried about the oyster bars and rocks as I would be with a fiberglass boat. I have contemplated getting a bigger fiberglass boat to extend my range on less than ideal weather conditions, but I have stuck with this boat because of versatility and the fact the offshore regs are becoming so restrictive the days are too limited for return on investment.

If you decide to get an aluminum jon boat, make sure the transom is all aluminum and doesn't have PT wood in it. I learned this the hard way with my first G3 and the transom corroded from the inside out, but G3 stood behind it and replaced the boat with a newer model (I believe they switched transoms after 2006) that now has an all aluminum transom.

Best of luck and hope to see you all on the water!!!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

My father and I looked at that model boat when we were in the market a few years ago. It will do an adequate to good job for every type of fishing you listed.

We ended up with a used 19' bay boat and a Gheenoe LT-25. We already had a 15' Jon for freshwater fishing. I enjoy fishing out of all three, but the Gheenoe is my secret weapon. It will take you places (and get you back) that a larger boat simply can't go. (on that day/tide)

So..........keep the Classic......and get the 1860. It's a win win. :thumbup: :D
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I fished out of my grandfathers 1986 15ft fisher marine up until 4years ago. blew my bottom 3 disc and needed something that would take a wave better. I still have it. ive been rebuilding it little bit by bit. done welded up all the rivets and im undecided weather or not to duck boat it out or turn it into a one man skiff. if it was wider I would definitely make it a skiff. but its the narrow one. so its sitting under the shed until I figure out what to do. I do miss fishing out of that thing. only took 6in to float. I could get realllll skinny with it.