When do the flats turn on?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

When do the flats turn on?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Traditionally when does fishing on the flats in the fall really get good? What approximate date? I want to go catching not just fishing. Would you want a cloudy day over a bluebird one? :-D Thanks :-D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

When the cypress turn red and I'll take any day over a bluebird day....
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

You can't put a date on it. It varies with the weather and water conditions. The water temp is the key. Some years such as year before last the excessive rain messed up the fall fishing so bad that it was hard to say the fish ever turned on. The muddy water kept the fishing messed up on the flats until the fish moved off the flats and into the rivers for the winter.

A cloudy day over a blue bird any day. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Agreed. When you stop having to mow the grass every week (meaning when it starts to slow down growing), is always a key indicator for me. When the water temps are in the 70-72° range, it starts to get really good. The only thing that is going to hurt this year will be all the fresh water. If we can get a really dry October, the last weekend ought to be killer.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D What is the temp running right now? :-D I know I ask a lot of questions, but I get so little time to get to go fishing. Maybe when my boy gets old enough to go it will be different, but for now I have to make the best of what time I get. It stinks about bluebird days, I thought that I could go fishing instead of duck hunting on those days.