Trout Question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Dawg

Trout Question

Post by Red Dawg »

I started my salt water fishing addiction in a bay boat out from Keaton Beach catching trout on SA grubs, shrimp, or the occasional pinfish. I was hooked after the first trip. I have since moved to Wakulla County and can fish 3-5 times a week (except during the ridiculous daylight savings time torture period) but My son and I fish from kayaks. We've caught a few trout but it's been very rare. We finally started targeting reds in skinny water because the fun of catching sharks, sail cats, lady fish, etc. wore off pretty quick. Just wondering if we are not going to deep enough water or if the trout just are not in this area now. We have tried fishing bottoms Rd, purify bay, spring creek oyster bay shell point and at marks with live bait, frozen bait, plastics, and lures. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
wishin2bfishin

Re: Trout Question

Post by wishin2bfishin »

I feel your pain, RD, seems like the trout have not been there this year for us either. I'm no expert, but you should be catching trout with any of those rigs. We have been successful with popping corks with Gulps, shrimp, pin fish, or other grubs. We really make noise with the corks. I think it attracts the trout.
Pick up the Woods N Water, they usually have good info in the articles.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You don't say how long you've been at it, but if you are comparing this year to previous, don't get discouraged. The trout fishing this year hasn't been as good as the past several years. I've fished all of the NFGFC tournaments and compared this years stringers at the weigh-ins to past years.

I fish both out of a kayak in the Winter and a jet-foot outboard boat the rest of the year. Normally, the reds will be along the sawgrass line and the trout will be out a little further. In the Winter, both trout and reds will move into the creeks and rivers.
bman

Post by bman »

As the other guys said- dont be discouraged.
Your in the right areas. I fish 3- 5 feet most of the time for trout.
They will start moving into deeper water and the rivers soon.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
cotton

Post by cotton »

I also fish solely from a yak. In years past I would often catch 2-3 limits of trout on a good day. Not this year. Be patient, the trout fishing is improving. I'm catching a few trout every trip again. There scattered with only a few landings providing good numbers right now for the yakkers. Enjoy the redfish while you wait for cooler weather.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

IMO, this has been the worst trout season since the last few years before the gill net ban was enacted in 1995. There is definitely something going on with the population and it could be a combination of factors, including the red tide last fall, the severe cold two winters years ago, record heat/water temps this summer because of El Niño or simply overfishing. With increasing pressure inshore and the five-fish limit, lots of trout are not being released to spawn multiple times. The winter concentrations in the coastal rivers aggravates the situation.

I have contacted the head of the Marine Fisheries Division of the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission with my concerns. She said she's heard similar reports from other anglers, putting trout on their radar. I will post when I hear of further updates.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
eldouble

Post by eldouble »

I've just gotten back into fishing after a 7 yr hiatus. I've had no problems catching trout in th east flats off the lighthouse. But 90% of them are only a foot long. We use popping corks and all colors of gulp shrimp. I can only go out so far in the 15 ft jon boat, so mostly fishing in 2-3 feet of water. Just drift across the grass and go to town. My son and I caught 10 on Sat, the biggest being 15 inches. Though I seem to remember releasing 20-30 a day back then. Now if I can only figure out how to catch the reds...
Miles
Southern Hooker

Post by Southern Hooker »

silverking wrote:IMO, this has been the worst trout season since the last few years before the gill net ban was enacted in 1995. There is definitely something going on with the population and it could be a combination of factors, including the red tide last fall, the severe cold two winters years ago, record heat/water temps this summer because of El Niño or simply overfishing. With increasing pressure inshore and the five-fish limit, lots of trout are not being released to spawn multiple times. The winter concentrations in the coastal rivers aggravates the situation.

I have contacted the head of the Marine Fisheries Division of the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission with my concerns. She said she's heard similar reports from other anglers, putting trout on their radar. I will post when I hear of further updates.
I would have to agree completely. I don't think I've caught trout all year at better than about a 1 per boat per hour pace, with very few keepers. This is fishing the same areas that you can normally often catch them at about a 1 per person per ten minute pace and when its good on just about every cast. I generally throw all inshore fish back. I can remember better trips even before the net ban than some of mine this year.

I'm starting to get the idea it might be because of people like me who have really been more into offshore fishing but have been "forced" to the flats by the offshore regulations, creating increased pressure. Probably just overthinking it but i'd agree it has been the worst year since the net ban.
Last edited by Southern Hooker on November 19th, 2015, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Bluewater Predator http://www.facebook.com/BWPFT
Accurate Fishing - Connley Fishing - SMITH Optics - NU-ICE - ATL Fuel Bladders - Canyon Products - Eagle Claw - Engel Coolers - Wet Sounds - KeepAlive - Surf Monkey Gear
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I kind of hate to even suggest it but I do have to wonder with oyster fishing in such bad shape that we might not have illegal netting of trout going on again. I remember when it was legal they'd wipe out an area overnight.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Rhettley wrote:I kind of hate to even suggest it but I do have to wonder with oyster fishing in such bad shape that we might not have illegal netting of trout going on again. I remember when it was legal they'd wipe out an area overnight.
Thats it.... :smt005
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I'm going with . . The oil spill is to blame.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I am not going to mention any names, but had a friend tell me the other day that his cousin had met someone from the coast and was going regularly with this person to net fish. The cousin bragged about the redfish and trout catches they were making with nets at night. He told his cousin that they weren't culling any fish, because what they were doing was already illegal. Sounds to me like the old netters are getting bolder. Time for FWC to step it up!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Wonder how the trout fishing will be in the St. Marks river this year. Last year was certainly off!
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Gotta get a lot colder for a few days in a row at least.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

If you see or have knowledge of netting...say something. Drop a dime. It's that simple. Rules are for a reason and for everyone, not just a chosen few. The FWC can't do it all unless they get help from the people they are charged to protect. And you commercial guys on this site. Are you OK with the poachers reaching into your pocket and taking money you earned busting your ass catching fish legally? Speak up!!! These poachers can't survive if you say something.

BTW, where do these poachers dispose of their catch? Somebody could lose their fish market if they buy from these bad apples. Just sayin.