Looking for a new Bottom Machine/GPS: Any Suggestions

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Looking for a new Bottom Machine/GPS: Any Suggestions

Post by Scoop Sea »

Good Morning Everyone:

After 3 consecutive trips where my Hummingbird 937C acted up on me (wouldn't find a GPS fix location sporadically, cut off/on, etc), it's time to look for another bottom machine/fishfinder/gps (I checked Hummingbird and they no longer repair my machine model)

I'm a complete electronics novice, so any advice you all could provide on what machine you recommend, etc, I'd greatly appreciate it. I fish a 21 foot center console SeaPro and stay within 30 miles, usually within 18 miles or so. My current machine has a 7 inch screen and has an external GPS Antennae, however I am assuming that the technology has come along far enough to allow for an internal antennae. I would also love some recommendations on who does a good job installing electronics (once again, an electronic novice here, so I'm not sure it's something I want to try and do myself).

Pluses/Minuses, etc from personal experience would also be appreciated.

Thank Yall
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a new Bottom Machine/GPS: Any Suggestions

Post by DEMON »

I just ordered a Garmin 74DV that was $250.00 off. Reg price was $800.00. The DV has only downview without sideview & GPS. I already have a hummingbird with sideview & don't use it anyway so I save some $$ by getting just the downview.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-echoM ... HwodWO0LEA

If you want the sideview (74SV), it looks like its about $800.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Because you already have a Humminbird, you might want to stay with Humminbird. If you switch to another brand you'll have to go through quite an ordeal converting your waypoints to a format another brand will read. That said, I would wait until the Humminbird Helix 9, 10 and 12 are released. The Helix 5 and 7 do not have the 3 short cut buttons. The 9,10 and 12 will have the short cut buttons.

If brand doesn't matter, there are lots of deals out there right now, like the 74DV that Demon purchased. All units made by Humminbird, Garmin and Lowrance now have internal antennas. Personally, I prefer an external antenna. Some of the units made by all of these companies won't accept an external antenna. That said, be sure the unit you choose has all of the features you want, in the box, when you purchase it. Some units will accept add ons, some won't. If the unit will accept add ons, it will be expensive.

As for installation, because you have an existing unit, the hard part of the installation is done. Attach a piece of rope to your transducer lead and pull it through when you remove the old transducer. Pull the new transducer lead in with the rope. The power lead should be simple. Hook it up where your existing power lead is now.
What was I supposed to do today?
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

If you go with a Humminbird all you have to do is plug in new unit and go. The 2d transducer will be the same. If you go DI or SI buy a Y cable and use both transducers. Then just add the other transducer.
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

Love my Simrad NSS8! Best GPS I have owned and combined with a good transducer it's money!!
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Bonecracker wrote:Love my Simrad NSS8! Best GPS I have owned and combined with a good transducer it's money!!

Is that Simrad a bottom machine/fishfinder as well Bonecracker?
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."