SGI East End 9-28 and 10-3

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

SGI East End 9-28 and 10-3

Post by Atticus »

Hey guys I went fishing off the east end of SGI last week (sorry for the late report) and then my buddy went back the other day so here goes

Road is okay, pretty average, the guard is an azz, tried to talk us out of going down there then didn't write the gate code on our $19.00 ticket (paging Dr. Freud)

Got down half way and stopped for some bait, not much doing but that didn't turn out to be a problem...

Went out on the tough part of the road no problems, we were the only ones out there on a Tuesday and there was bait EVERYWHERE, as much bait in water as I have ever seen, school upon school of finger mullet in all directions. Also there is about 150 yards of water where there was beach back in May thanks to the tropical storms I guess.

One more thing there was a school of tarpon rolling out about 1/3 of teh way to Dog Island (burried that in here for you guys who actually read my beach fishing reports).

Finger mullet on a circle hook, fish finder rig and here come the jacks...

There was this other guy out there by the time we were done fishing who caught a jack and then, before taking it off the hook, dragged it down the beach to ask us what kind of fish it was and if it was good to eat

Then this German guy showed up in his bicycle and was sniffing around like a hungry puppy dog for a ride back to the gate.

But it was a pretty good day. Later that day my truck did drop another coil and I had to drive to Blountstown to get it fixed and I picked up a hitchhiker in Sumatra but thats another story

My buddy dave went back on Sunday and he and his wife caught this beast

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Gaawwwwllly. And welcome back Atticus! That is some nice fishin' there! Thanks for reminding us of what's out there: That's one of your favourite haunts, isn't it? You got a place down there or do you round trip from Tallee Town?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I was down for a week in a rental but I will round trip it in a heartbeat if I get a weekday off when everyone else has to work :thumbup:

Keep those tires turning and keep moving down the freshest track in the soft spots. There are some 2-foot deep puddles down that trail and when I get in them I see white steam comming up over my hood from my spinnin-arse-tires :thumbup:
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Hey guys I just talked to a buddy of mine and the road is now officially horrible and they almost got stuck and the fishing wasn't nearly as hot, no bait on the beach.

Funny how conditions will change in 4 or 5 days :hammer:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

DAWWWG!
Great Pictures :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I went there last year on a friends boat and didn't catch a thing.
Now I know what bait to use out there!!

Great Report :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Atticus wrote:Hey guys I just talked to a buddy of mine and the road is now officially horrible and they almost got stuck and the fishing wasn't nearly as hot, no bait on the beach.

Funny how conditions will change in 4 or 5 days :hammer:

DAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWGGGGG! :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Do you have a four wheel drive truck?
Ken
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Yep- bought it for that very reason (had a 4WD Jeep before the truck and used to bounce out there on occasion).

Don't go out there with a 2WD. If you have a 2WD buy a pass and get out to where the paved portion almost ends (it goes sand, paved, deeeeep sand where 4WD is necessary). Where the paved portion ends there is a little 'driveway' to your left on the bay side with grass flats and oyster bars accessible for waders. You could also try to wade back toward the gate from there, there is a little island which looks like a trout hangout, get there early and throw a top water, you will hook up with something. The first picture with the cast net up in my original post is over that way right out in front of the little driveway. Across from the driveway the fishing on the other side there (the beach side, there is a little walking trail, is supposed to be very good).

The first portion of paved road is suitable for a Camry unless the puddles are deep.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report Luke. Did you break a coil on that new ride?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Yep Chuck- second coil in 4 months

I get back to the office tomorrow from the honeymoon and Ford is getting a nasty attorney letter first thing. I just can't fathom putting $200 a coil in an engine more than twice in four months with only 46Kmi on it. The Ford repair guy in Blountstown said that it was a common problem with my engine size and year. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Then on the way back from Blountstown I almost got killed by my hitch-hiker only 4-days before the wedding. I will write that one up some time on OT. ;-)
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Great fishing Luke! Nice pictures too. Thanks for the report. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Luke, I know you graduated. Do you ever work?
What was I supposed to do today?
2true

Post by 2true »

I go to the East End every spring, (got to hit the mackeral run this year :-D ) and man let me tell you that water in the pick is D-I-R-T-Y. :o

I guess from all the storms. Kinda strange all that was being caught was jacks. :-? Nice Fish. :thumbup: