Panacea 1-9-16, 1-10-16

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Dawg

Panacea 1-9-16, 1-10-16

Post by Red Dawg »

Can't seem to figure out why I see numerous people at the different landing we use and 1100 people have viewed my last post, but nobody is sharing a report. I don't reveal our favorite spot or even which landing, but I do like to let other fishermen know if they are biting or not. Had to get that out.

My brother came down from Atlanta to fish for the weekend. We picked this weekend based on the lunar calendar. Decembers new moon period was great. January was not! Hit the water Saturday morning at 7:30 while the tide was very low. Figured we'd catch bait and get to our favorite spot early. Definitely wanted to put my brother on a red since he's never caught one. It was 54 degrees when we put in. Wind was blowing but not to bad. Worked my way to the area I wanted to fish, stopping to try for bait along the way. Bait was not there. Caught a couple of rays that cost me two hooks. Wind got stronger as it got later. Finally found some bait and put three bull minnows in the bait bucket. Tried creek mouth, oyster bars, holes, shore line, couldn't get a bite. My brother, who uses a sit on top also, called it quits after getting soaked in the chop. I tried one last "secret honey hole" and managed one 18-1/2" red. Been a while since I caught one so he went in the cooler. Evan caught several reds, of course, but released 2 between 18"-19" to grow up. He caught all of them on my aqua dream. It will catch fish just not for me.

Sunday morning we tried a new area in Franklin County. Temp was 56 when we put in around 10:30. Once again wind was blowing pretty good and the water was choppy. Like Saturday finding bait was tough. Decided to just use the frozen shrimp I had. Caught an 18-1/4" red, but released him after the boy shamed me for keeping barely legal reds with so many in the freezer already. Never caught anything else. Not sure of the name of that hurricane that came through, but it blew at least a 100 MPH! :D Evan caught another 2 barely legal reds he released and a few shorts. Looks like the new spot is a keeper. Came home and thawed a few bags from the freezer and had fried redfish, baked fries, and hush puppies. Not the best weekend weather or fishing wise, but still fun as always.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Panacea 1-9-16, 1-10-16

Post by Blue spinner »

thanks for the report , i hope to get out latter this week down at Econfina river
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Glad you got out there, even with the bad conditions. I, too, have been frustrated with the lack of activity on this board, maybe it will pick up soon. One thing I see is when I do post something, I get very few comments. It takes so little time to make a friendly comment. :roll:
Yours in the South
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Well, I do appreciate reading your posts but to tell the truth my fishing trips for the last month have been so unrewarding I am embarrassed to list them. I have been catching a lot of trout in the St Marks river but very few keepers and not one red since November. I have purchased an aqua dream but haven't caught anything yet. Maybe with the lower wind this week I can get out to the creeks. Hope my parka still fits!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Thanks for the reports. I hunt this time of year so no fishing reports from me til spring.
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Great report! Glad someone got out there. I had been keeping my eye on the weather all week hoping for Sunday to calm down but sure enough the 11 mph wind kept me at home doing yard work. Sounds to me Red Dawg, that your posts are influencing people to get out there! Keep up the reports regardless and tell other fishermen/women about the site.
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
TheRealMayor

Post by TheRealMayor »

At least you caught more than one. I spent almost a full day at the head of the bay and only caught 1 keeper size red. Granted, I also caught a short inshore slam, but more reds would have been nice. thanks for the report
Just a Guest

Post by Just a Guest »

Put in Saturday at the lighthouse after the morning's low tide. Headed east to checkout some of the creeks and what not. Soon as we got there the wind died down and the conditions were perfect! Only found one good school of reds and worked them for awhile. Not much other activity going on over there. Had to head back in because the storm was getting close. Ran into some guys at the ramp by 98 and they confirmed that the trout are in the river. Didn't ask about the size or details.

Red jig heads w gulps were our choice for the day. Seemed to work[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

Red dawg u and your son are doing an awesome! I would post some report but I am new to fishing in this area. Whitin 3 months of fishing two day a week I will have to tell u that I caught 4 to 6 red only. I don't always keep my fish but it would be nice to catch and released. Would love to find someone like u or your son to fish with cause it gets so frustrating not reealing anything but catfish. . I have a reliable John boat that fit perfectly for two. Let me know if u ever want to fish . T 8504455048
wallisam

Post by wallisam »

fished St. marks upstream today, no fish. fished toward the lighthouse, picked up about 20 shorts. one of these days I'll get it right again.
BldHnd86

Post by BldHnd86 »

Fished Friday afternoon and Saturday around the back of the bay and the mouth of the Ochlockonee river and creek mouths in the same area. Don't know what I'm doing but did manage a keeper Red. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut occasionally.
HammerDown

Post by HammerDown »

Going to try the St. Marks in the morning with my son. Just got my boat out of the shop getting the motor serviced. Also, got a brand new aluminum trailer for Christmas as it was time to retire the other one. Been soaking the old one in salt water for 12 years. Oh, got a brand new Garmin 74DV and had it installed along with a new pair on Stick It anchor pins. Feel like we are ready for some action in 2016. Tight Lines, everyone!