St. Marks 1/16

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 1/16

Post by ugadawg »

The last time I went to St. Marks (before the new year) the water was too warm for the fish to be in the river. After this cold snap and watching the FSU Marine Lab temperatures drop, I was excited to get back down and try it again. Me and my wife headed down for the day and it definitely did not disappoint.

Stopped by Shields for some shrimp and was on the water around 11:30. Headed to my hole and caught a short trout on my first cast. A couple casts later and I had my first keeper in the boat. By 2:30 we had our 10 trout limit in the cooler. Most of the trout we caught were 17'' - 19". We stayed for a while longer and caught and released many more keeper trout. We could have easily filled a 3 or 4 man limit today. We got off the water at 4:00 to get back in time to cook dinner.

Warm shorts weather, time with the wifey, and a quality limit of fish; what more can you ask for?
Fish1.jpg
Fish2.jpg
Red Dawg

Re: St. Marks 1/16

Post by Red Dawg »

Nice. :thumbup:
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Awesome headed out there today with 3 boys, you mind me asking around where did you find fish, up River?
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Up the river. Watch your sonar and look for deep holes that have fish on them.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Alright!! Finally! I know yall had fun......, when's the fish fry? :-D :smt007 Been craving some fresh trout :)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Thanks I'll post how we do
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

[quote="ugadawg"]After this cold snap and watching the FSU Marine Lab temperatures drop, I was excited to get back down and try it again. Me and my wife headed down for the day and it definitely did not disappoint.

Nice day on the water. Glad to hear the trout haven't been pushed offshore by the rains.

Take the FSU Marine Lab temp readings with a grain of sea salt, however. Think they've got that thermometer sticking in black mud off the end of the dock. Lab is showing 67 degrees this morning and the best I found yesterday afternoon east of the Lighthouse was 61. Last week they were still displaying temps in the mid-60s when I was reading 53 degrees within a half mile of the lab. Haven't had a chance to compare units side by side with someone else, but my readings are coming off my brand new Garmin transducer and Wunderground was showing similar within a degree or two at Apalachicola.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds like a great day with the wife. I hope to get back there sometime next week.
Yours in the South
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Im making a run out there in the morning and Ill let everybody know how it goes.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Well we made it out around 1030 and fished till maybe 1ish and got 3 keepers, best bet was jigs or lure worked slow, shrimp didn't do much. Caught fish above the power plant, but were scattered, hit or miss. Think you needed to keep working up and down the river, hard to do in the pontoon especially with 3 boys in board, but had a great time out on the water. My buddy's son got his first trout on his 4th bday
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

The cooler weather may have locked them up. We sat on one hole and caught all our fish there on Saturday.
2true

Post by 2true »

Nice@!