Trout breeding size

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Trout breeding size

Post by onefishtwofish »

Got a few questions for ya'll that know more about trout than me (so, pretty much everyone that cares to answer ;-) ).

What size, approximately, in inches are SeaTrout when they start breeding. My rule in my boat, even when keeping trout for eating, is no keepers over 20" unless gut hooked or a rare tournament. I am not judging anyone, do not think I am Mr Conservation (that's Dr Conservation to you Salty) but I am just curious. I am not all that found of trout unless they are fried, so since I do not fry fish often, they are usually released.

Where do they breed? When do they breed?

I know I can google all this, but thought some of you guys (and gals) may give me answers first. Anyways, it is cold, duck season sucks and my duck boat is dead, so until I start turkey hunting, I am aiming at fish for now-so I am also bored. Thought this may start a conversation on trout and conservation.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Trout breeding size

Post by ugadawg »

I've cut 15" trout open before that have been full of eggs.

The University of Southern Mississippi says that females mature around 11 inches and males before that.

http://gcrl.usm.edu/public/fish/spotted.seatrout.php
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

:thumbup: :thumbup: ^^^^^

That publication gives everything you need to know about trout reproduction and size at maturity. I am currently working under the scientist who did this research and conducted most of the research on spotted seatrout reproduction in the GOM. As far as what "size" trout is best to throwback, it would be good to refer to the area that mentions fecundity (# of eggs spawned). As size increases, number of eggs spawned increases as well. Larger size fish also produce larger and greater quality eggs which enhance survival of larvae. In the end, its a personal choice whether to keep a larger fish or not, however, a large fish released could benefit the stock and allow for another person to have the thrill of catching that stud trout.

Trevor
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

As much as I love to eat trout, until the population goes up like it was a few years ago, I've been strictly C&R all specs I catch. I normally always bring a slot red home and for now just enjoy catching them. I know it would piss off A LOT of people, but I would like to see a smaller limit on them for a year or two. We all have help to bring the population back. From charter captains to the once a month weekend warrior we all are responsible to help ensure the future of them. I remember going to SGI and catching more trout than I could count. I could bet my boat that I would catch at least two over 20" and every now and then a big boy. I haven't seen any big specs in 4 years. Hughsten we have a problem! Now how are WE going to fix it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

We all have help to bring the population back.....????? Do you have a number that there down from ?? What was the population a few year ago to what they are now ?
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Just read it, damn I sounded like a hippie! Cut the bs, basically I think most of us would agree that there isn't as many big trout as there used to be. So the question is why? And what can we do as sportsmen to help?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

GC must know something we don't!!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Just my 2 cents but I haven't seen the big trout as years past ever since February trout season got opened up.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Trout numbers and quality have been on a decline for a couple years. I think it's been multiple factors such as the open season during the spawn and a lot of freshwater the last few years. There are definitely more fishermen too!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Trout can spawn from spring until late fall. But the big sow trout are vulnerable during the colder months when populations are concentrated. The FWC is monitoring the situation, although there are no current plans to adjust bag limits or seasonal closures. The stock assessments take so long to do that I'm afraid it'll be a reaction to a serious problem rather than proactive management if and when they do do something. Environmental conditions--red tide, freezes, floods have had an impact, I'm sure. But the biggest culprit is pressure. There are just too many inshore anglers keeping too many fish.

I will occasionally keep a trout or two to eat fresh. I let everything over 20 inches go unless it is during a tournament and I wish those events would adopt a photo catch and release format. I would fish more if they did.

Unless you're a fan of extra protein (worms!), the best fish to eat in my opinion are those 16 to 18 inches, not the fat breeder females that are critical to the long-term health of the fishery.
Last edited by silverking on January 28th, 2016, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

silverking wrote:Trout can spawn from spring until late fall. But the big sow trout are vulnerable during the colder months when populations are concentrated. The FWC is monitoring the situation, although there are no current plans to adjust bag limits or seasonal closures. The stock assessments take so long to do that I'm afraid it'll be a reaction to a serious problem rather than proactive management if and when they do do something. Environmental conditions--red tide, freezes, floods have had an impact, I'm sure. But the biggest culprit is pressure. There are just too many inshore anglers keeping too many fish.

I will occasionally keep a trout or two to eat fresh. I let everything over 20 inches go unless it is during a tournament and I wish those events would adopt a photo catch and release format. I would fish more events if they did.

Unless you're a fan of extra protein (worms!), the best fish to eat in my opinion are those 16 to 18 inches, not the fat breeder females that are critical to the long-term health of the fishery.
This is closely what I choose to believe !!! And to the jawjaw Pirate...LMAO you can take what you think you know and flush it !!! If I remember right your reports were it was mostly all caused by netters....And further more if FWC would camp out in Econfina they would see how many trips you Ga. boys take a day and how many time yall fill a cooler !!!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I wouldn't let any poachers--netters or unscrupulous anglers alike--off the hook, so to speak. All do damage to the resource and steal from the public and they are not limited to one state either. Fortunately the FWC Law Enforcement has stepped up patrols and surveillance. That guy at the boat ramp in jeans and a flannel shirt just may be an RPU undercover officer and all kinds of technology like night vision goggles, drones, airboats and helicopters are being used to stop illegal netting.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Gulf Coast wrote:
silverking wrote:Trout can spawn from spring until late fall. But the big sow trout are vulnerable during the colder months when populations are concentrated. The FWC is monitoring the situation, although there are no current plans to adjust bag limits or seasonal closures. The stock assessments take so long to do that I'm afraid it'll be a reaction to a serious problem rather than proactive management if and when they do do something. Environmental conditions--red tide, freezes, floods have had an impact, I'm sure. But the biggest culprit is pressure. There are just too many inshore anglers keeping too many fish.

I will occasionally keep a trout or two to eat fresh. I let everything over 20 inches go unless it is during a tournament and I wish those events would adopt a photo catch and release format. I would fish more events if they did.

This is closely what I choose to believe !!! And to the jawjaw Pirate...LMAO you can take what you think you know and flush it !!! If I remember right your reports were it was mostly all caused by netters....And further more if FWC would camp out in Econfina they would see how many trips you Ga. boys take a day and how many time yall fill a cooler !!!

Years ago, they did a survival rate of released fish and unless you wet your hands before handling and handle them very gently, that rate wasn't great. Even with this, at least the survivors add back to the stock.

I suspect that the Georgia boys would love to get 1% of what the rouge commercial fishermen from Florida get.

I also suspect the Florida merchants love to spend that dirty old Georgia money when we come down.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

This thread is derailed, lol....MD dirty ol money does spend good, just not enough of it in bait and tackle, buy a lot and build a house !!! :D I just don't buy a rouge netter taking more than what come out of that camp ground down there. Either way like SK said its a lot of things, we need to close trout in Feb. at least that would protect the fish in the river for awhile.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

I think it was forum member Juan that had the little cartoon of the guy casting and brain busting the the dude next to him. That is the kind of stuff that goes on in the rivers in Jan. and Feb. How could anybody want to do away with entertainment like that ? :smt005