Help!!! Which motor??!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Speedy

Re: Help!!! Which motor??!

Post by Speedy »

Read the fine print on all warranties. Warranties that state 6 or 7 years have the word "limited" included. Most of the time they are full 3 year warranty followed by either an additional 3 or 4 years of very limited warranty which often requires a specific and documented maintenance schedule. Most extended warranties are not covered by the manufacturer and are done so by an outside source. The only ones that I know of that have a full bumper to bumper 5 year warranty without stipulations is Honda and Tohatsu. Just wanted to point this out.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

This thread completely explains why I go with canoes and kayaks. The fish don't care how you got them.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

GaryDroze wrote:This thread completely explains why I go with canoes and kayaks. The fish don't care how you got them.
And then you have paddle vs. pedal, sit on top vs. sit inside. The debate still goes on, my friend! :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE HAD MAYBE 20 OUTBOARD ENGINES IN MY LIFE, I HAVE A 1985, 85 EVINRUDE WITH PROBABLY 3-4000 HOURS ON IT AND IT STILL RUNS GREAT, HAD TO CHANGE THE WATER PUMP ABOUT 500 HOURS BACK AND REPLACE THE FOOT ASSEMBLY 2 YRS. AGO WHICH WAS MY FAULT, TRYING TO OUT RUN A STORM DOWN AT ECONFINA. THESE OLD EVINRUDES WILL JUST RUN FOREVER. I ALSO HAVE A NEWER EVINRUDE 115 THAT HAS MAYBE 10 HOURS ON IT AND IT RUNS GREAT, GETS A LOT BETTER FUEL MILEAGE THAN THE OLDER ONE AND IS A GOOD BIT LIGHTER IN WEIGHT, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH EITHER ONE OF THESE ENGINES. I HAVE A LITTLE 5 1/2 EVINRUDE THAT I USE TO TROLL WITH IN FRESH WATER THAT HAS NEVER FAILED TO START, IT IS A 1949 YEAR MODEL AND GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW MANY HOURS WE HAVE RUN THAT LITTLE ENGINE.
I DO NOT THINK YOU WOULD GO WRONG WITH A EVINRUDE ENGINE WHOEVER MADE IT,
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

blind9 wrote:Guys, been thinking forever now I would repower with 4 stroke ( probably Yamaha). After some talking to Fred at Parkway about options, really been researching about the Evenrude Etech and really liked what I read. Anyone got any opinions that can help me decide? Right now with a 7 year warranty and every thing a 4 stroke has it seems like a no brainer......and about the same money.
SK has done a great job of discussing the options. I have a Suzy 150 FS on a boat that was designed for that weight on the transom. It's a good engine, as is the Yam 150. All of them would work well, but if your existing boat has a two stroke weight might be an issue, and if so the Etec would probably be a better match.

EJ
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

In the 115 HP category the in line Yamaha 4 strokes are actually lighter than most of the Evinrude Etecs. 377Lbs vs 390, and the Merc 4 strokes are lighter than them both.
http://outboards.axlegeeks.com/compare/ ... cury-115hp

One thing I've noticed by looking at the weight specs side by side at axlegeeks.com, is that in a lot of instances the manufacturers must use the same engine block for different output designated motors. For example for the inline Yamaha's the 175HP and the 150HP weigh the same, 480lbs. The Evinrudes are similar. The short saltwater etecs are the same 418 lbs, whether 175 or 150HP. Even the 135HP etec has that same weight.
At 115 HP the weights drop so the engine block must be smaller, but then those weights carry through almost identically to the 90 HP's.

The Hondas at 150HP are actually lighter than the Yamaha's at 478 lbs, but at 115HP that Honda motor still weighs 478lbs which really makes it a bad choice at that HP rating. At 90HP the Honda's weigh 359lbs, which is the same amount the Honda 75 weighs.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes, manufacturers use the same blocks for different horsepower configurations within a reasonable range.

But you do have to be careful when comparing weights. Some of the figures are not apple to apple comparisons, i.e. different shaft lengths, dry weight, etc. It's best to go directly to each company's specs for the most accurate figures.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

The Honda 115, 135 and the 150 share the same platform and thus weight. The differences in horsepower are attained by ECM changes and the 150 has V-TEC. The Honda 75 and 90 share the same platform in addition to the new 100 that was just released in the U.S.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

SK, axlegeeks makes the claim that their data is from the manufacturers specs, but I agree it's best to check the model with the manufacturer. I was actually surprised to find that the weights follow the ranges that they do. I had always assumed that as the motor HP went lower, that the weight followed. Now I know that you have to take the different manufacturers configurations, and match them to what they offer in their own lines as well as to the competition to figure out which one produces the most HP per pound in that particular range. For example with the etecs you can find a 225 HP motor that weighs almost as much as the 300 HP models, and 135 HP models that weigh pretty much the same as some 200 HP models. The Hondas seem to run a bit heavy in general, but the 478 lb 115HP is by far the heaviest motor in that class, but that same weight Honda is available as a 150HP where the weight is more competitive.
http://marine.honda.com/outboards/models/highpower
If I were looking to repower my 1800 Parker and I was looking at Honda, the 150HP would be a much better pounds to horsepower choice than the 115HP because they weigh the same, but the 175HP ETEC would be lighter than the 150HP Honda by about 60lbs, but it exceeds the recommended HP rating. So I'd probably end up with the 150HP ETEC even though it weighs just as much as the 175HP.
At 115HP I'd be leaning hard towards the inline 4 stroke Yamaha since it's weight is comparable to the ETECs at that HP rating.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Also take in account some motors have integrated steering, I think some Etecs do, which would make the stated weight higher but would be the same if the steering is added to other motors.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Suzuki. You won't regret it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk